Sonic The Hedgehog Marble Zone Remix

Wo1ken

Glad for you to share your work here in the OCR Workshop. However, as people here, we want people to really go above and beyond while at the same time having fun as musicians.

That said, to say this remix is "very good" is a complete lie - in fact, while people have said SMD is more lenient in regards to music standards, I can't play stuff like this on the air in its current form. And let me explain why.

* Arrangement-wise, it sounds like a MIDI rip. Two loops and a fadeout sounds like a dead giveaway to me - that is a complete no-no for OCR.

* Drums are just KICK-hat-SNARE-hat all the way through - gets really boring after a while. If 90s dance is your aim with this sort of thing, a good piece of advice is to listen to a LOT of commercial releases for the genre you're trying to reference - you may learn a few things about the key elements for the genre and how fills and transitions work out.

* Bass totally doesn't sound like a bass - in fact, it feels more like a sweep string that's trying to sound like a bass. If you want to keep the effect then that's fine, but a good tip for the future is that you should duplicate the bass layer and change the patch on the copy to a no-reverb sine or triangle or something. That should give the bass the punch it desperately needs.

* Most importantly, BE CREATIVE! :-) See if you can add any other writing ideas along the line, whether it be some new rhythmic parts for the main part, an entirely new music section, or just some deviation on the basic marble zone melody... or anything of the sort. Everyone is free to go nuts!

Hopefully this will help you get off the bat and start getting better. I know that with enough time and energy, you can do it :)

Ehm Rexy, you're referencing stuff which I (and probably more people) don't understand. It's a that I connected the dots to the link in your sig, but that's it. Has he submitted this track for you to play on your radiostation? Or do you play Workshops WIP's as a favor to give people some exposure? Not really following there :-( I've got abosultely nothing to say about the way you described what can be improved with the track (I wholeheartedly agree), I'm just pondering where the "very good" remark came from :wink:

Or am I missing a post that's been deleted in the meantime? :)!!

Ehm Rexy, you're referencing stuff which I (and probably more people) don't understand. It's a that I connected the dots to the link in your sig, but that's it. Has he submitted this track for you to play on your radiostation? Or do you play Workshops WIP's as a favor to give people some exposure? Not really following there :-( I've got abosultely nothing to say about the way you described what can be improved with the track (I wholeheartedly agree), I'm just pondering where the "very good" remark came from :wink:

Or am I missing a post that's been deleted in the meantime? :)!!

To be fair, I do a lot of searching around on the Internet for stuff to play during the show, which can include any finished Workshop pieces that get my interest. The comment about 'getting told I have more lenient standards' actually was a comment given from Eino Keskitalo about his OWN work.

But I'm usually very open about music. I also want people to have a little charisma along the way :)