Donkey Kong Country 2 - Wasp hive trance cover

MikeVincent

This track is pretty minimalistic early on. For someone who doesn't make trance, I think you're off on a good start. Things you should look for are build-ups and breakdowns. I think this is a fine example of what to consider:

Obviously I'm not saying you should make yours just like that. The only issue I'm having is everything before 2:13. The first 0:28 seconds was keeping me interested. After that, I thought a few more things could be added, such as plucky arps, an atmospheric pad, or something to really let the listener know it's going somewhere. Most of it is a repeating bassline. Yes, I'm disregarding the drum section. 3:13 is good. That's something I was hoping to hear as it sounds fuller in terms of more instruments going one. Then 4:24 gets really interesting. Unfortunately, I feel like everything a few seconds after that is a let down. Not because it's bad, but because I was expecting a really explosive smack in the face outro, but only got an ending with a drum loop.

But don't take my word for it. Those are just my thoughts and what you do with your remix is entirely up to you. Also, please don't confuse my criticism as trying to discourage you. I think I did that once before when I didn't mean to. I appreciate your track, figured I'd give my input of what I think could be improved, and that's it. I was guided here in particular due to the title mentioning trance.

This track is pretty minimalistic early on. For someone who doesn't make trance, I think you're off on a good start. Things you should look for are build-ups and breakdowns. I think this is a fine example of what to consider:
Obviously I'm not saying you should make yours just like that. The only issue I'm having is everything before 2:13. The first 0:28 seconds was keeping me interested. After that, I thought a few more things could be added, such as plucky arps, an atmospheric pad, or something to really let the listener know it's going somewhere. Most of it is a repeating bassline. Yes, I'm disregarding the drum section. 3:13 is good. That's something I was hoping to hear as it sounds fuller in terms of more instruments going one. Then 4:24 gets really interesting. Unfortunately, I feel like everything a few seconds after that is a let down. Not because it's bad, but because I was expecting a really explosive smack in the face outro, but only got an ending with a drum loop.

But don't take my word for it. Those are just my thoughts and what you do with your remix is entirely up to you. Also, please don't confuse my criticism as trying to discourage you. I think I did that once before when I didn't mean to. I appreciate your track, figured I'd give my input of what I think could be improved, and that's it. I was guided here in particular due to the title mentioning trance.

Thanx! It's not my type of music so it's kinda hard to make it good, in the ears of a techno freak hehe. If you know what I mean. I know it's quiet empty but it's most of the time because I dont like to much wierd stuff, that's usualy the case with trance :) It was more of a test to see how well I could mix this kind of music. Actualy what I find more satisfying than arranging music is the mixing part, hence the not so advanced build up in this track.

We'll see if I pop out any more music in this genre.

Thanx! It's not my type of music so it's kinda hard to make it good, in the ears of a techno freak hehe. If you know what I mean. I know it's quiet empty but it's most of the time because I dont like to much wierd stuff, that's usualy the case with trance :) It was more of a test to see how well I could mix this kind of music. Actualy what I find more satisfying than arranging music is the mixing part, hence the not so advanced build up in this track.

We'll see if I pop out any more music in this genre.

Hope to hear more, then!