Gaming Headphones vs. DJ Headphones

I am a DJ and this is something i really need to know...I am really drooling over the

Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue

(http://http://www.amazon.com/PDP-Afterglow-Prismatic-Wireless-Headset-Xbox/dp/B00ELPXWXW/ref=pd_sim_vg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=03FY5SRCKCSGPA6SAQK9)

because the glow of these things would look great off of the other lights and black lights that i use....

BUT...

it has jacks for x-box and the switches are for chat....etc. etc.

can i use these with a DDJ-ERGO Controller if I have the adapter for the cord?

--If you wanna check me out, visit my Facebook page...(http://www.facebook.com/dj.contradiction216)

"The Closer you get to the Light, the Darker your shadow becomes"

-Kingdom Hearts

Edited by Contradiction
Advertising

It's not entirely clear from the Amazon description how these work, but from what I can piece together from the reviews and answered questions, it looks like it will operate wirelessly as long as the dongle is plugged into both a powered USB port and an audio source. It apparently also comes with a standard 3.5 mm headphone cable so it can be used non-wirelessly, but doesn't light up unless you use it wirelessly.

Consider this:

You get a USB port with the headphones.

The DJJ-ERGO has mic and aux input, and runs on USB power.

Unless I'm mistaken, if you want both, you should get a USB splitter. If you have one with two female ports and one male port, you can plug the male into the controller and have the two females, one for the headphones and one for the power cable.

maybe i should have mentioned that i run my headphones from the laptop headphone jack and totally ignore the jacks on the controller itself...(mainly because i couldnt figure out how to map it out right in the software configurations)

i dont know if that matters...i guess my original question is can i hook the thing that makes it glow and work audio and mic from my laptop?

• 2 weeks later...

The headphones come with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, so assuming your DDJ-ERGO has a 3.5mm port (or a 1/4 inch port if you have the converter from 3.5mm to 1/4in), then yes, you can use these headphones with your DDJ-ERGO, but it will be a wired connection, not wireless.

You don't need the USB except when you have to charge it (like you charge a phone). It runs on a rechargeable battery that you charge via USB.

In other words, buy the headphones, then buy this, and you're done.

Edited by Neblix

i guess my original question is can i hook the thing that makes it glow and work audio and mic from my laptop?

As far as I can tell, yes, you should be able to do this.

The headphones come with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, so assuming your DDJ-ERGO has a 3.5mm port (or a 1/4 inch port if you have the converter from 3.5mm to 1/4in), then yes, you can use these headphones with your DDJ-ERGO, but it will be a wired connection, not wireless.

You don't need the USB except when you have to charge it (like you charge a phone). It runs on a rechargeable battery that you charge via USB.

In other words, buy the headphones, then buy this, and you're done.

My understanding from the user reviews is that the lights only turn on if you're using the headphones wirelessly, and if the lights are the whole point of getting these headphones as opposed to something else, then the unlighted wired connection isn't much use except as a backup.

Contradiction, a couple of other considerations:

1) Are you okay with these being wireless? I'm not a DJ so I can't speak in real-world terms, but it seems like there's more that could potentially go wrong on a gig with wireless headphones (wireless interference, dead/malfunctioning battery, problems with the transmitter, etc.). Since there's the backup wired connection, it might not be a showstopper, but it's something to consider.

2) Some of the user reviews complained about build-quality issues.

3) It's not clear how well these headphones block outside noise. (I'm assuming that for DJs, the more isolation the better.)

As far as I can tell, yes, you should be able to do this.

Contradiction, a couple of other considerations:

1) Are you okay with these being wireless? I'm not a DJ so I can't speak in real-world terms, but it seems like there's more that could potentially go wrong on a gig with wireless headphones (wireless interference, dead/malfunctioning battery, problems with the transmitter, etc.). Since there's the backup wired connection, it might not be a showstopper, but it's something to consider.

2) Some of the user reviews complained about build-quality issues.

3) It's not clear how well these headphones block outside noise. (I'm assuming that for DJs, the more isolation the better.)

to answer all these:

1) yes, because im not one of those DJ's that just stand there...im kinda alll over the place....entertaining would be the word for it...batteries it seems last 10 hours, so thats good...and to be perfectly honest...the headphones stay around your neck 80% of the time...so if i can turn the mic off with a button on the side i cant see that being a problem....

2) if it glows and works...its all i care about...

3) i read a review that said since they are gaming, they have plenty of isolation and pinpoint sound quality for fighting games and such...

so all i really needed to know from you experts is if i can use these things on a laptop (irregardless what the laptop is doing)...and not just playstation, wii, and xbox

so all i really needed to know from you experts is if i can use these things on a laptop (irregardless what the laptop is doing)...and not just playstation, wii, and xbox

Perhaps you should have then asked that question instead of asking other questions.

The simple answer is yes, but the glow won't function if you plug it into your DDJ-ERGO by auxiliary jack, you'll only have the sound. If you want the glow, you'll need to use the wireless functionality with your laptop itself.

If you want the glow, then no, it won't work.