"Southern Journey" a new Spanish-influenced film piece by me...

YoungProdigy

Not bad. I like the melody. String sustains could use a lot more dynamic work; they're really flat and don't add much excitement. Try swelling them in places to create more of a dramatic presence. Those and the horns (? they're a bit synthy) also feel too soft and subdued when I feel they should have some more energy overall for an upbeat flamenco orchestral score. Also, the horns should be on the left rather than the right if you're going for proper orchestral placement.

Good start, keep it up!

Not bad. I like the melody. String sustains could use a lot more dynamic work; they're really flat and don't add much excitement. Try swelling them in places to create more of a dramatic presence. Those and the horns (? they're a bit synthy) also feel too soft and subdued when I feel they should have some more energy overall for an upbeat flamenco orchestral score. Also, the horns should be on the left rather than the right if you're going for proper orchestral placement.

Good start, keep it up!

Thanks. So it would be a good idea if I added more sustains to the strings? If so, I can do that. And for the French Horn; should I just try using a different articulation? And I'll try to pan them left like you said.

Thanks. So it would be a good idea if I added more sustains to the strings? If so, I can do that. And for the French Horn; should I just try using a different articulation? And I'll try to pan them left like you said.

Not more sustains, just vary the dynamics of the sustains so that they're not just playing each note at the same dynamic (i.e. mezzo-forte). Swell the notes from mezzo-piano to mezzo-forte, or even piano to forte for the end of certain phrases to mimic realistic and emotional string playing. Real players are not going to play the same dynamic the whole time; they're going to get excited and then they're going to get mellow and back and forth, and they change the pressure of their bowing depending on the emotion that they're feeling.

For the horns, I don't think you need a different articulation, again just vary the dynamics and get them to a forte at appropriate moments to get that excited brassy sound.

Edited by Neifion