Your email address: Abadoss@yahoo.com

Your website: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 2642

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed: The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Song of Storms

Link:

Additional information:

I had written this arrangement with the intention of adding vocals. However, mainly due to a problem with matching the ambience of my recording to the rest of the piece, I had to consider that I might not be able to incorporate them. After getting some opinions about it from people on the forum and zircon, I decided to let go of the idea and submit it the way it is.

The Song of Storms is one of my favorite melodies from Zelda 64: TOoT. I've been wanting to remix it for quite some time. Up until now, though, I never felt I had the resources or the skill to be able to tackle the project the way I wanted to. However, I now feel confident in my abilities and chose to go for the goal. At last, I have written an arrangement of one of my favorite songs and I submit it now in the hope of its acceptance.

The piece is fairly free-form in its construction. Two major sections return throughout the piece; the main theme (the Song of Storms) and a countertheme, which was created from the accompaniment in the original. It's scored for Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Eb Clarinet, two Bb Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, two Bassoons, two French horns, two Bb Trumpets, two Trombones, Tuba, Organ (originally meant to be Baritone voice), Harp, Timpani, Percussion, First and Second Violins, Violas, Cellos, and Basses. This is probably my most epic piece so far, even among my original compositions.

Now, I did spend a good deal of time writing the lyrics, so rather than let them go to waste, I'm going to include them here:

Sweet calming rain, hold me together

Sing softly lullabies into my mind

Let it rain!

Let it rain!

Wash my tears and pain away

Clear these sunken eyes

Mend my broken dreams

Let it rain!

Let it rain!

Drops of dew upon my face

Healing touch of God

Take these scars I pray

Let it rain!

Let it rain!

Let me drink of life again

Taste of what is pure

Thirst for what is real

This track has a lot going for it, and I'm torn.

It has some really excellent and creative composition and sequencing. Unfortunately it also has some very simplistic and boring composition and sequencing. Certain parts jump out at me as being sexceptionally well-concieved, complex and emotional. Then two seconds later there will be some clumsy sounding string or lead part. akward rhythms, or parallel octaves/fifths, notes repeated..ugh.

There are great dynamics, but then oftentimes the samples hurt. the strings in particular are raw.

This is very close to the line for me, and I think it wouldnt take very much tweaking to push it over the top. to be fair, it might not be obvious to you what these compositional akwardities are, but please talk to someone who does and tighten it up.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 57 "Windmill Hut"

Some of the samples are hurting, no doubt about that. Brass in particular sounded very flimsy. Drums at 1:09 are VERY empty. Ken did a decent job attempting to flesh things out, but the sounds here still lacks energy and depth; things are still too dry, IMO. Stuff like the strings needs more work like Jesse pointed out, but the brass was the main offender for me personally.

The note movements in some places were a bit too rigid; somehow in "At the End of All Things" you were able to achieve a more organic sound despite the timing, but this here wasn't a similar case.

The arrangement is ok, but did feel like some motifs repeated too much. 4:30 was supposed to sound like a strong close, but merely let me down because the theme was being arranged basically the same way yet again. Refine things and resubmit, bro. Good base so far, but not yet ready for primetime.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

A track which was concieved with vocals in mind will always sound somewhat unengaging compared to a piece which was always meant to be an instrumental, and this is a prime example.

These samples are passable, imo, with the exception of the brass sounds. Something about the attack of the strings doesn't sound right to me.

I think the arrangement is good, and I particularly like the use of dynamics. However, as I mentioned before, the piece as a whole is not as interesting - this part was more than likely reserved for the vocal parts that were meant to be in this song. I really like the way this ended; I have a thing for strings getting louder and louder for the climax. Needs some more work to come up to the OC bar.

NO