Serdian Memories (Legend of Dragoon - Royal Capital Bale)

Kat

So I originally made this for MnP#22 a while back. I'd intended to revisit and touch it up, but life had other plans for me and I never really got around to it. Almost a year later and I've decided to go back to it(and several other unfinished or unpolished pieces) and fix them up.

https://soundcloud.com/katallen-12/serdian-memories

I haven't done much to it yet. I gave it a bit of a boost in volume(it was really quiet), but I still need to touch up the arrangement and articulation. The percussion is another area I'm looking at. The drum kit that comes in is more or less how I wanted the arrangement to go, but at the same time I know it's a bit out of place in a primarily orchestral piece. Any thoughts? Opinions? Critique?

Hey, this is really cool! I like the peaceful atmosphere you made. A couple comments:

Is that an oboe about nine seconds in? I can't really tell because it's blended nicely in the mix, which works production-wise but it makes it hard for me to tell. Anyway, my point is that if it is an oboe, you are using the lowest of low notes that an oboe can play (speaking as an oboe player :P). My suggestion would be to either use english horn samples instead since that's in a pretty comfortable register for english horn and it sounds similar to an oboe, or to keep the same instrument samples and transpose the part an octave up. If it's not an oboe, ignore all this I have no idea what I'm talking about haha

I hear what you're talking about with the drums. They definitely sound very up front. Perhaps adding more reverb so that the drums are farther back in the mix? I think you could also get away with reducing their volume without losing too much definition. They're very nice drum samples, they just need some production tweaks to fit into the mix better. I think the crash cymbal in particular could be brought way down in volume and possibly use some extra reverb.

Other than that, all of your sounds are used very tastefully and fit in well as far as I can tell.