Looking for critique on "Tranquility", a new solo piano piece by me.

YoungProdigy

Just a general disclaimer: my feedback is direct and thus can seem harsh - but I think it's the best way to receive feedback since I think it's the easiest to change things that way.

- The track opens hard with a quite loud block chord. Be wary that block chords usually do not carry emotions unless they're handled very well so I would try to use them as little as possible. Especially don't use them as an intro

- The left hand is also too loud, makin it sound intrusive (especially when using block chords), and it makes the lead melody difficult to hear

- You're going for a tranquil feeling, but you don't really convey it here. This is due to a few things: the left hand (as mentioned above) which should really be supporting the lead melody with as little as possible (if that's the genre you're going for), the lack of humanization in the piano and the lack of reverb. Adding reverb is easy, the humaization can be a little more difficult. Lose the fast-following notes (which aren't fitting in the genre), keep some notes lasting longer, and play more with the volume of different notes. A soft and long lasting note can be something very powerful; the accents you're putting in the notes now are distracting rather than calming. The reverb/lasting notes is really an issue when you change the left hand into a motif: you really need something mimicing a sustaining pedal there.

- Keep in mind that you want dynamics in the piece; begin slowly, and start building up some more untill you reach a part with a full soundscape. That doesn't mean an increase in volume or tempo, but rather a more fleshed out left hand, more use of chords in the right hand and usage of low and high notes (bass with high frequencies)

Hope this helps!