The Confrontation (brass/strings/space/cinematic)

Finished a new piece this weekend called The Confrontation. It's actually the third version of a work of mine that's always been called The Confrontation. This one is the best, but I took it in a different direction slightly. Mostly a cinematic string heavy thing this time. Made using EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum and EWQL Symphonic Choirs Gold.

https://bradcharlesmusic.bandcamp.com/track/the-confrontation-epic-space

The piece starts up pretty good and I like the samples. However, the biggest problem with the piece is the repetitive chord progression. Throughout the entire piece; the chord progression does not change. You should change the chord progression at some point.

Another thing I noticed was the lack of a real main melody. There are melodies at 1:16 and 1:41, but they aren't that strong. If I were you, I would add a French Horn melody at 0:19. That melody should work as your main melody.

If you listen to all the great film and video game themes; you'll notice they all have a main theme.

So in conclusion, the biggest problems are the repetitive chord progressions and the lack of a strong main melody.

Thanks for the comment. I agree with all of that, but it's intended to be more in the background than anything. Check out my other post from yesterday, "Going to Market". 

I suppose in context this repetitive chord progression and no melody makes more sense to me because I've heard the other two versions of the song. In my head this is kind of a reprise of the former versions. Take a listen to this old version with more melody (and less sequencing skills). When I redid it, I made the changes I did because this old version seemed like I was trying too hard to have to a melody. I wanted the new one to be less about being in your face.

Thanks again for listening!

Also, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of your feedback. It is definitely lacking in melody, and that was a comment my wife also gave me, in addition to it being too repetitive.

I was reading something interesting yesterday that said modern musicians can create these intricate and really rich soundscapes, but don't focus on the theme enough - and that if you pay attention to great composers, that's what they've mastered. And that's true, and that's what I think you were saying as well. I sometimes tend to get a narrow focus on getting a nice overall sound rather than creating a nice melody.