HELP WITH CUBASE/REASON LATENCY

I recently put Cubase SX on my comp, and have been having some issues with latency, and I'm not sure why. I took some MIDI technology classes at a local college, and i think my computer is superior to the ones we used, but mine has more issues. I have a dual core pentium Dell, a gig of ram. I get major latency with things as simple as moving the volume sliders up and down, or stopping the track (music plays for a couple seconds afterwards). Is it a driver problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike B.

Why oh god why must people put their topictitle in ALL CAPS? :(.

Is it a driver problem? Any help would be appreciated.

It's not so much the computer speed; it's also the soundcard. If you use your on-board soundcard or an Audigy, you're going to need something better or you can try this: http://www.asio4all.com/

Install and see if it works. If it doesn't, whip out the cash for a new soundcard.

He doesn't need ASIO4ALL with an Audigy, they support ASIO natively. But, audigy cards are noisy and I really wouldn't use one.

ASIO4All on a non-ASIO native card will give you better performance, but it won't be stellar. I've used it on a few systems and the improvement isn't as good as it would have been had I popped an ASIO-native card into it.

Try to pony up the $100 for an M-Audio 24/96 or something similar.

Assuming your Dell isn't in one of those tiny-assed cases. If it is, you might be stick with the built-in unless someone makes an audio interface for that formfactor.

Mike,

I was having the same dilemma you are having until i saw the light... Creatives drivers for ASIO sucks period, so these guys decided to write there own, which have stellar ASIO performance

KX Audio Drivers:

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=118620

These drivers support the Live, Audigy and some of the Audigy 2 Series (mainly the Audigy 2 ZS).

The only downside to these drivers, they do not support EAX, so if you want to play video games still that require EAX dont bother with them. But they outperform creatives drivers by a longshot when it comes to music recording.

Assuming your Dell isn't in one of those tiny-assed cases. If it is, you might be stick with the built-in unless someone makes an audio interface for that formfactor.

There are USB and Firewire audio interfaces, too ;). The E-mu 0404 also comes in an external package :).