Corona Mountain [Super Mario Sunshine] - Swing Jazz Chiptune

Thirdkoopa

Hey all, I'm excited to be here; I'm really hoping to get some of my mixes officialized by OC Remix so let's start here. I'm looking for whatever critique's you have. I like to use one defense first to preface it so I'll preface it here by saying: I didn't really do much mixing and my speakers are currently in a bad position. I went for a newer more synth version of jazz... so lots of synths and chiptune stuff here.

Please enjoy. (or enjoy ripping it to pieces)

I'm going to use the checklist, since I'm 100% a beginner on this. Seeing a post with no comments makes me sad though, and makes me worried about my own future prospects (... when I actually finish my attempt at an arrangement and then at recording...), so here's an effort at some feedback!

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION
I'm not familiar with the source, can't speak on this!

PRODUCTION
[ ] Low-quality samples: The main thing that stuck out in this regard is the trumpet synth, especially where it is super in-your-face around 2:00; as one of the more "realistic" instruments you use, I feel like it needs more realistic articulations, too.
[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics): Dunno about any compression per se, but I feel that the dynamic contrast could be stronger.

STRUCTURE
[ ] Lacks coherence overall (doesn't "flow" enough): around 1:00 for instance, the introduction of the high voice feels very abrupt; I think it's a combination of its contrasting timbre and high pitch that makes it particularly piercing.
[ ] [not actually abrupt] ending: I feel like the ending overall needs some attention. At 2:52 it feels like you're introducing a new idea, and then it sort of goes away, and then you have the lingering cymbals and... other stuff... which sounds overall a bit odd to me.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE TRACK
[ ] Instrument choices: Aside from the trumpet, I feel like there was quite a bit of color in the instrumentation!

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)
Overall I found the tune quite catchy, even though the style isn't quite my cup of tea. I think it has a comfortable amount of complexity/subtlety, and mainly wants a stronger sense of overall structural development?