Un Owen Was Trap?

JK FlipFlop

I totally went there. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to do it, but here's what I have so far:

All criticisms are welcome. Just don't be a dick about it :v

EDIT: SoundCloud's compression really killed the clarity (especially the high end) in this mix. Uploaded to Newgrounds instead.

Not bad. Actually, I think the one spot where you happened upon some cohesive and apt sound design was the breakdown at 1:05 - 1:26, in particular the transition sweep and the choir pad. However, I would say the "hey!" cheer sounds were overused, to the point where this feels like a joke track - as in, it sounds as if it's supposed to be a parody.

It's nice if you're aiming to make fun of trap music, but in treating it as a serious effort to write a VGM remix, I think it's pretty rough right now, since the lead and bass synths are rather simply designed, and the soundscape may feel somewhat bare on some systems.

Usually, muddiness occurs near the low-mids (~300 Hz or so), and most instruments are going to overlap there. So generally, I would suggest that you high pass your leads around there, and check which instruments don't need that frequency range heard. In a way, it's kind of like sculpting the sound.

Using a MIDI is fine for practice, but sometimes note velocities, which usually correspond to their loudness, can affect the way the sound's frequencies are distributed, if your sounds have "velocity layers" (different samples for different intensities of playing). That's why I tend to simply try to write by ear so that I have a better idea of how what I write is supposed to sound.

O.O

I've cut out high frequencies from instruments with unwanted harmonics, but it never occurred to me to cut out lows from higher frequency instruments.

I was considering rewriting the whole thing, and now that you mention it, I will. And again, thank you very much for your helpful feedback. I might actually be able to make this sound right.