*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Vermilion' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36189

It's been another year, so here's another shot. I think with enough time I'll wear you guys down :). The drums could still be better, but I didn't decide to be "creative" with this one and just mixed it normally. It has bass, it has piano, and it has that exciting little moment at the end. If there's still more to do, I'll see you in November 2007!

* Your ReMixer name: Adam Dachis

* Coincidentally my real name is also Adam Dachis

* ocremix+catch@toasterdog.com

* http://www.adamdachis.com

* Forums: iioru

* Games Remixed: Final Fantasy 6

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: The Decisive Battle

* I think we all have had enough FF6 that I don't need to add any extra info about it :)

Okay, so I don't really think I have anything much to say. The Decisive Battle has always been my favorite. I also like the piano. Decisive Battle + Piano + Me = This Mix. I don't do a lot of high energy music so I can always count on this one if someone every asks for something high energy (not that anyone has ever asked). Oh, one thing I can add is that all negative criticism on the first version really got me to actually pay attention to mixing things properly. I'm still not great but at least I don't suck anymore, so thanks for kicking my butt!

Um...maybe if this gets on the site finally I'll actually manage to finish the Kefka remix next year :-P.

Thanks for listening!

- Adam

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "The Decisive Battle" (ff6-124.spc)

zircon pointed out that this was a really old resub, so thanks for that. I dunno how the old drums were here, but they at least seem a lot more sane now on the writing side.

Why's the bitrate so low? Anyway, good stuff with the piano arrangement, even if the sound on it was a bit murky. The drum tone doesn't fit at all, though the writing on 'em is good.

The production is definitely weak. Could just be the bitrate, but the drums have this nasty lo-fi sound that almost sounds like warping in some parts (e.g. 1:51-1:52, 1:56-1:57). Piano tends to muddy up too much during some of the fuller parts (e.g. 2:05-2:07). The other Js could better explain what's going on here, so hopefully they come through on that.

Refine the drums, fix the production, and up the bitrate. Otherwise, the arrangement is solid to me. I feel like I'm rehashing the same crits as 2004, but IMO this could be an easy resubmission. Keep working on it, Adam, and use the WIP board for feedback.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I would yes this if the production was right/tight. First of all, the bitrate is far too low, this should be constant 128kbps at least. Secondly, the piano is playing bass notes, but there is also a bass guitar - this is musical sin, and gives low end muddyness. Keep the piano away from the bass range. Drums would sound better if they weren't so compressed, lay off that a bit, because it makes it sound very unnatural. Finally, I personally feel that the reverb that was used doesn't do the piano justice, doesn't make it really shine. There also seems to be much less reverb on the piano compared to the drums and the bass.

Apart from the piano clashing with the bass issue, I really enjoyed this arrangement. Work on this some more and please resubmit, this would be a nice one for the site.

NO (Please resubmit!)