I need some programs

I want to get more in the groove of music making but all I'm using right now is FL Studio. I got a few soundfonts and some sample sounds I got from different songs but that obviously isn't enough. Can someone give me some tips on where to get better sounds and what kind of programs are good for mixing and getting all the tight sounds I hear in some of these songs? Thanks.

Edit: Talk to me on aim too I usually have it up all the time unless my little sibs get on or somethin if you don't know what my screen name is, it's: AIM - blackpanther6389; MSN - rashad_hill@yahoo.com. So hit me up whenever possible.

Another edit(lol):I've made songs in the past that I have on soundclick, just search for Rashad Hill under artist and I should pop up. So advice or critiques are appreciated.

Fl Studio is actually a really good program. It is a great program to use bc the step sequencer/piano roll is friggin awesome. It's work flow is really easy. You can use just about any effect or synths sounds you find in the FL.

So yeah you kinda need to get some new synths apart from the fl presets. Sytrus is good, just learn how to use it. Vanguard is an awesome synth if u are doing techno/trance.

If you have the money anything from native instruments will fit the bill.

Go here and you'll find links to a million places:

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=92175&start=0

I say the biggest thing is to pick a few synths and really learn how to manipulate and create sounds with them that will help you out the most. I really only use 3 synths so far: Absynth, Sytrus, and Vanguard. Or sometimes I take natutral instruments and process the ever living shite outta them to create new sounds. Also learning some serious but basic mastering techniques will help you out a lot. Being good at EQ'ing will go a long way in your songs.

Thanks. I've been doin techno and I actually submitted a song for reviews to ocr but now that I read how strict they're are and all the amazing different remixes, I have a good feeling that mine won't be accepted lol. But I want it to for sure. I could show you guys if you have AIM or somethin. I want to take my love of music to the next level so you guys look out for me =).

I want to get more in the groove of music making but all I'm using right now is FL Studio.

Except for a wave editor to cut/slice/edit samples with, that's enough.

I got a few soundfonts and some sample sounds I got from different songs but that obviously isn't enough. Can someone give me some tips on where to get better sounds

Wait, you didn't know FL Studio has the option to load plugins? Shitloads of plugins? Any VST plugin you've ever heard of? Lots of 'm free or cheap?

and what kind of programs are good for mixing

FL Studio has a mixer. It's not the program, it's you learning how to mix that does the trick.

and getting all the tight sounds I hear in some of these songs? Thanks.

"Tightness" is achieved by virtue of compression. FL Studio has a compressor. Try it as an effect over some of your plugins. It is however not a solution for all the things your mix lacks.

Edit: Talk to me on aim too

No, because that completely ruins the idea of a forum. The idea is that if you post a question here, and we answer it, it means that the answer's got a place to stay. It also means that if someone has an (almost) identical question, they can see which answers you got, by using the search function.

So, ask what you want to ask here, and that way, everyone can enjoy the bits of wisdom they get :).