Corrupt reason song file, can anyone help?

Fishy

Hey guys, one of my favourite reason song files went corrupt when i transferred it from my old PC. It was in a folder of many other reason files but none of the other files had any problems. When I open the file, all it says is:

Acces denied. The operation could not be completed because the device denied access.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened, or anyway of recovering the file? It got rejected a while back and I really wanted to play with it some more, see what I could come up with. I'd appreciate any help or info.

Just a random guess, but it could be that you have included files that aren't included in the song itself, and that it has made pointers to the locations on the old disk names. If you'd have an E: drive partition on your old machine and the new one doesn't have it, and you've stored the song in such a way that it doesn't include the samples in the file but links to them, I could see that happening.

Also, http://www.reasonfreaks.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=35483 is what happens when you use Google on the term

reason The operation could not be completed because "device denied access".

So it could be a permissions issue; of course the Mac works differently, but still.

File permissions are basically setting that say who's allowed to read, write and execute a file.

In Windows XP: right-click on the file. Go to Properties. Go to the "Security" tab. At "Group or user names", do "Add...", type in "Everyone" and do "Check Names". Click OK. Now, in the list, someone called "Everyone" is added. Set Full Control to "Allow" (meaning all checkboxes on the left are checked).

If that doesn't work, it could be that in the Group or user names box there's someone weird-looking (usually a huge string of seemingly random letters and numbers). That's the old user of your previous computer. Remove that person from the list - but only after you've set full control for everyone.

If you have XP Home this trick might not work.

• 2 weeks later...
Right, I got the security tab to appear, but theres everyone already has full permission

Did you add "Everyone" to the list of people with permission? Is there a person in that list with a weird name (G828X-WE298-VV-32XZXZIQ and so on or something - a random combination of letters and numbers?).

Show us a screenshot?

I have XP Pro btw, not sure if thats a version of Home.

Pro is the version that doesn't require you to boot up and do the weird stuff just to see the security/permissions crap.