Guitar Theory tips?

Hi, I don't really know what to call what I'm asking but I was wondering when playing chords is better to solo from the corresponding Scale (C Scale solo for a continuous C Chord for example)? And if so would it be alright to mix up with other scales?

I'm trying to improve on soloing since it's one of my weak points.

The answer to this question changes a bit depending on the genre.

However, a thing I've found that simplifies the whole thing to a good starting point is to emphasize chord tones on strong beats, and you can really do whatever you want otherwise.

For example, if you have a C chord, you could play chord tones on the downbeats like:
C E G C G E C

Then on the upbeats add some notes a step or so away:
C F E Ab G B C D E Db C

F is a half step above E, Ab is a half step above G, B is a half step below C, D is a whole step below E, and Db is a half step above C.

By just thinking about where you put your chord tones in the lines relative to strong beats, the scale choice doesn't matter as much. I practice this by playing a solo of only chord tones on downbeats to get familiar with the progression, then practice adding other notes between to fill in the gaps.

I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, JohnStacy said:

The answer to this question changes a bit depending on the genre.

However, a thing I've found that simplifies the whole thing to a good starting point is to emphasize chord tones on strong beats, and you can really do whatever you want otherwise.

For example, if you have a C chord, you could play chord tones on the downbeats like:
C E G C G E C

Then on the upbeats add some notes a step or so away:
C F E Ab G B C D E Db C

F is a half step above E, Ab is a half step above G, B is a half step below C, D is a whole step below E, and Db is a half step above C.

By just thinking about where you put your chord tones in the lines relative to strong beats, the scale choice doesn't matter as much. I practice this by playing a solo of only chord tones on downbeats to get familiar with the progression, then practice adding other notes between to fill in the gaps.

I hope this helps!

Your advice was a great help it was really great for a frame of reference which is exactly what I was looking for, I'm gonna practice this more in my sessions. Thank you!