Sonic the Hedgehog "Trance-Cap" (Bridge Zone)

12x_waver

This is my trance arrangement of "Bridge Zone". I called it "Trance-Cap" because the ReMix is a bit like "IceCap" from Sonic 3. Also, strings on background are from Marble Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog). Please rate the ReMix and point out any shortcomings.

Artist name: 12x_waver

ReMix name: Trance-Cap

Primary game: Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear ver.)

Source: Bridge Zone, Marble Zone (cameo)

Download FLAC:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C33JZTqzDHoHyuZika4eEniidisUCnBy/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by w12
Added some info.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the main things that come to mind are:

- The melody at 0:44 is not in the same key as the chords, even though the chords are in the same key as the bass. The bass is in A minor, the chords are in A minor, and I think the melody is in Db minor, so there is a lot of clashing.

- Beyond the different keys, there is a lot of frequency clashing in the low-midrange (100-300 Hz) at 1:20 - 2:04. Because of that, it sounds too chaotic and muddy.

There are a few things that it would help you to work on:

1. Mixing using an EQ so that you can declutter frequency ranges that are occupied by multiple instruments at once. All you need to do is look at what instruments are occupying what frequency ranges, then decide what you want to be heard, and cut down overlapping frequency ranges until there is not nearly as much fighting. I don't know of a better example than this person's archived livestreams to learn how Parametric EQs work and how you can tell where to cut.

2. Expanding your sound palette. I didn't mention it because it wasn't the main issue, but it would be good to save up money to buy a good synthesizer plugin (like Zebra2, FM8, or Massive). I think for over 7 years I've just used Zebra2 as my main synth and it's given me the chance to practice with it and make or gather a very versatile set of sounds. What you've used in this song is just very simple-sounding imo.

3. Getting a basic grasp of music theory. Mainly, you should know what a key is (C minor? A# major? D minor?), how to recognize that two instruments are not playing in the same key, and how to identify what key a melody may belong to. Hopefully this video can help.