Mega Man 3 - Wily's Fortress Stage 2

MartinH

https://youtu.be/oG0EW0X1UBw

The first time I heard the original I thought it had such potential for a really fat refrain (section 2 starting at 0:27). I tried to apply some fat drums and a deep straight on bass to that section. I also tripled the melody voicing at 0:40 from a doubled one.

Overall I always thought this is a cool song, I always like a bass playing the same note where the chords change above it. At 0:52 I did a completely new section where a couple of plucks playing different shapes together with an ever rising chord progression and bass. Then it takes off at 1:07 with a very much MegaMan inspired groove from an octaved unison lead synth over a half tempo groove followed by a solo starting off at 1:20 where I put a massive amount of delay on the lead synth.

Next up is a variation of the main theme (section 1) where I occassionally change the drum beat time signature to 3/4 from 1:48, but the rest still plays in 4/4 which gives a confusing but yet progressive and controlled groove. Finishing up with another fat refrain where I pitch up the melody voicings an octave to get a peak, and then pull it all down to minimum level of intensity at 2:52 with a single bass tone under some changing chords. I tried to get an unpleasant atmosphere in those chords together with a similar feeling of when you're listening to James Bond themes. On top of that there is a xylophone playing one repetitive tone in this last section, and also in section 1 (from the beginning and at 1:36).