Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude (

PinyapVEVO

Hey thanks for taking the time to stop by :)

I am making this cover of Forest Interlude from DKC2 as a sort of "self benchmark" to see how well I can emulate David Wise's signature tone into my own music. It is in a lot of ways pretty close to the original, however all of the sounds (minus one FLEX instrument and my percussion samples) are made from scratch with Serum and stock FL plugins.

I am only a few years into this hobby, mostly being self taught. I guess I am looking for feedback on the quality of my mixing - as well as my writing since I wrote it all by ear.  I think my mix is kinda quiet honestly, but I'd like to think I did good on the overall leveling of things.

What do you think?

Edited by PinyapVEVO

Welcome to the forums. :)

Evaluation:

This is awfully quiet right from the get go.  Had to turn up the volume a lot.  The lead could also be louder so as to let the listener direct it's focus to it (they are close to where they should be now, so it won't take much of an increase in volume to get them where they should be).

Those are some lovely pads you have going on, I like how airy they are.  You absolutely want to add some modulation them so that they have some movement.  It could be filter sweeps, vibrato automation, volume automation...something to keep them moving and less static.

The biggest issue is the arrangement, it's pretty much the same as the original source.  You're going to want to inject some of your own creative twists and turns into it to make it your own.  Especially if you're planning on submitting to OCR.  The ending leaves something to be desired and just...suddenly ends.  Definitely could have something there that would give the listener a feeling of completion or finality.

You can definitely use this as a starting off point to develop into something greater.  Good luck.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Hemophiliac said:

Welcome to the forums. :)

Evaluation:

This is awfully quiet right from the get go.  Had to turn up the volume a lot.  The lead could also be louder so as to let the listener direct it's focus to it (they are close to where they should be now, so it won't take much of an increase in volume to get them where they should be).

Those are some lovely pads you have going on, I like how airy they are.  You absolutely want to add some modulation them so that they have some movement.  It could be filter sweeps, vibrato automation, volume automation...something to keep them moving and less static.

The biggest issue is the arrangement, it's pretty much the same as the original source.  You're going to want to inject some of your own creative twists and turns into it to make it your own.  Especially if you're planning on submitting to OCR.  The ending leaves something to be desired and just...suddenly ends.  Definitely could have something there that would give the listener a feeling of completion or finality.

You can definitely use this as a starting off point to develop into something greater.  Good luck.

I appreciate the feedback!

I am honestly struggling with volume levels in general right now. Ive used a bit of compression to help certain things stick out but I guess I'm still pretty rusty at it.  Most of my instruments are fairly close to their "optimal" level before things get extremely loud and choppy sounding. Its really hard for me to get a loud mix sometimes.

I am now reading about LUFS analyzers but there is a toooon of conflicting information about where I should leave it.

Back to it I guess

Louder does not always mean better.

Best place to start when mixing parts is to zero everything out and pull all faders down.

Pick whichever channel is most important (usually melody) and bring that up to a good volume.

Then choose the second-most important part and bring that up and balance it against the first part.

Continue with each part until done, balancing against each as you go.