[WIP] final fantasy x-2: "suspended on silver wings" (1000 words remix)

howdy folks!

as a serial compo-er, i often face the challenge of being able to spit out a track idea in a relatively short amount of time, but when it comes to refining and polishing i tend to find myself scratching my head. i'm looking to tackle that by polishing up my one-and-only (for now 😉) PRC entry and getting it up-to-snuff for submission. it's a city-pop-inspired remix of "1000 words."

here is the submission for PRC472.

a lot of things are currently on my to-do list, including:

• possibly changing the key so it's a half-step higher, re-recording guitar parts per this change
  • shortening the length to the verses/choruses that appear in game, since it's fairly long as-is
  • more ear candy

one thing i'm struggling with at the moment with is making room for that adlib in the last chorus on top of all of the other elements going on, on top of trying to keep the production of the track true to its city-pop inspiration. if anybody's got any tips for me in that department, please let me know!

other constructive comments are greatly appreciated! thanks y'all!

edit: source

Edited by colorado weeks
upload only was first minute, add source

I loved it, the main thing for me is that the percussion gets a bit stale later on in the song. I think that could be solved by just shortening the track like you said but if you don't want to do that, switching up the percussion a little would go a long way

Hi CW!

This is killer! Easy to see it doing well in a compo setting - strong composition and solid vocal performance throughout.

Key change would be pretty cool - possibly toward the end if you don't do the whole track and use it as an effect for momentum.

The length feels longer than it is with some of the things we mentioned in the live weekly workshop review, but I'll recap some things to address that:

• Changing up the beat around 3:30ish (after the solo section going into the 3rd chorus) - dropping out the drums to just claps, or kick-kick-kick-clap.
  • 1-2dB of additional volume to the lead vocal in the choruses - this will help make the sax samples less exposed.

Please please please keep cooking on this one when you have time, it's gonna be a big bop when you're finished!!!!!

City pop is so fun! I'll write down and expand my comments from the Office Hours voice chat:

• Outside of altering your basic arrangement framework or the key, the drums plod by the end of the second chorus. The groove is interesting and complex but needs more variation to maintain listener interest subtly.
    • Consider simplifying the beat during a verse or two -- hew the kick to the bass, maybe save the snare and clap for beat 4, roll back the complexity of the hi-hat pattern or drop the hats entirely.
    • During the choruses -- perhaps especially the choruses framing the guitar solo -- use some anticipatory kick drum placements (the 'a' of 3 or 4, and/or the 'and' of 4) for some bars. These extra 16th note spots from the kick create anticipation for the downbeat, ramping the energy up a notch and propelling the beat forward.
    • If it still feels plodding, consider dropping the drums out entirely for a verse and going to just the claps for a couple of bars.
  • Without changing the basic beat pattern, you can also vary the hi-hat pattern by incorporating some open hi-hat spots (beat 4 or the 'and' of 4 are good spots on alternate bars, or go for the disco approach and open the hats on the upbeats). If you keep the 16th note flourishes in the closed hi-hats, try opening the 'a' 16th note between the closed hi-hats.