EWQL SO Gold Noise

Souliarc

I'm not very experienced with Symphonic Orchestra, but I've noticed there is some rather obtrusive white noise on many samples, specifically, the 11 violins. Now I'd understand there being some on the woodwinds, due to the type of blowing required to play them, but violins?

I've noticed the same thing to a lesser extent on the VSL violins that come with Kontakt, and to an even lesser extent with the violins in the Orkester bank for Reason. It would seem as though the wetter the recordings are with reverb (larger rooms), the more noise. Maybe there are just so many reflections that it results in white noise? It just sounds pretty bad, and though I can EQ some of it out, that's beside the point. I shouldn't have to with my $500 library.

I've checked out the soundsonline forums but didn't get much results. Just wondering if you guys are experiencing the same thing.

Here is a short clip of notes C5-F5, 11V Sustain Vibrato:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/195391/

Click the link at the bottom "Download for free with File Factory Basic"

Man, that's awful. From the acclaim I've read of Prof. Keith O. Johnson, I can't believe he's let something like this slip. I know there is a certain amount of realism they wanted to invest, like a few knocks and such typical of an orchestra, but they are overwhelming. For me at least.

Check out 18V Sordino Slow. Hit E5 and hold it for a second. There's a couple loud knocks and you can literally hear the noise floor sharply cut off. Luckily, those sounds are located in the release sample, and you can just delete those zones in Kontakt.

I am insulted by their lack of editing/proper recording. There seems to be a fix for these faults, but, the user should not have to make them.

I think that sound is actually produced by the violin. I can hear a "woodiness" in it.

I have a crappy violin myself, and I don't really know how to play it, but when I bow a note in that range it has a similar "scraping" sound as the one in these samples behind the note.

It was probably left in there for realism, though I am not sure if that sound could be heard by the audience. I don't recall hearing it at any of the concerts I've attended. But then, I've always been near the back of the balcony.

I don't hear those knocks in the slow sordino. I am using the pro XP version, are you?

I'm just using gold, but the original library should be the same. At least that's what I thought. Just to be sure, I'm using the 18V, not 11V. Pro XP might have added a sordino articulation for 11V.

The knocks are definitely there though. Trying hitting E4 as well. At the very end of it's release, there is a sound like the tick of a clock.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to make due.

I know I once heard someone complain about noise on VSL samples and it turned out to be bow rosin. Are you sure that it's not a natural sound that the a Violin produces? I've never heard anyone else complain about it. BTW. I have Gold XP and I never really noticed any weird sounds for either 18V or 11V sections in either the original or XP. (I still don't like the sound of EWQL strings, but that's a completely different thing...)

As for the tick of the clock thing, there are a few problems like that in EWQL stuff. I know one of the instruments in RA has a person talking at the end of one of the samples. You could edit it out if it wasn't for the stupid locked samples (I HATE locked samples :rolleyes: )

I don't know. Did you download my example and hear the noise? It just doesn't sound like the result of a bow sliding across a string. It may be, I'm not a violin player, but I've never heard it before. I can notch filter it out for the most part regardless. There is a rumble to it.

As for weird sounds:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/4a74ef/

The first hit is close miked sordino slow, the second is surround miked sordino slow. Both on E5. First one clearly has talking (like you said about RA) and knocks, second has 2 knocks. Note the drop off of the noise floor at the end of the sample. That's not me cutting it off either.