Chipset Fan Dying!

Carci

Okay, just today my chipset fan has started being very, very noisy... sounds kind of like something's maybe grinding. I shut down the computer, opened up the case, and cleared out a bunch of dust hoping that might help, but it's still just as bad, and any time the computer's on, the metal around the base of the chipset fan is very hot to the touch - moreso than I believe is safe for the computer.

I'm worried that the chipset fan is going to fail soon, or already is failing, and not entirely sure how to go about fixing this, or how deadly of a problem it is. My motherboard's an ASUS A8N5X that I bought about a year ago, and the chipset fan's just the standard one that came with the board. I've also been thinking for about half a year that I ought to buy a quieter fan.

I've been thinking about buying this fan+heatsink, since it looks to be very quiet and quite safely cold, though I'm not sure if it'll be worth the extra cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108072

I'd appreciate any replies on what may be the problem, or what I should do. Most specifically, I'm wondering about how/if I should replace the fan, and with what, and wondering whether it's safe to continue running my computer for a few days with the noisy fan before the one I (may) order arrives.

Edit: It sounds like the sound's resolved itself by now, and a cursory feel inside of my computer has revealed that the fan is in fact still running. I'm still debating whether or not to get a replacement fan, and wondering what to get if I do.

Edit2: Nevermind, it just started again.

God, the chipset fans on the ASUS AN8 series of mobos suck ass so hard. There are entire threads dedicated to them on some other forums on what to do about them and how much they break. They also cool like shit.

You could go the replacement route, but I would advise buying something like this:

http://www.svc.com/zm-nbf47.html

A fan really isnt necessary unless you have nforce4 SLI (which you don't) or some of the newer 590 or 680i chipsets (which you don't).

I just zip tied a yate loon 80mm fan and routed 5 volts to it. Works fine.

I have a stock chipset heatsink/fan set that came with the AMD Athlon X2 3800+ processor I bought about a year and a half ago.

I didn't bother to check if it is compatible with your mobo, but if you can find whether it fits or not, I can ship it to you at no charge. Well, all you'd have to pay would be shipping, which shouldn't go higher than $10 at most, I guess.

The reason why I never used it was because I had previously bought a Thermaltake copper heatsink for the pc I was putting together. Thus, I never used the stock heatsink that came with the AMD processor because I paid good money for the Thermaltake and wanted to use it.

If you have doubts as to whether I am trustworthy, you can ask Edgecrusher. He recently bought something from me and was pleased with the transaction.

Let me know, man! I have no use for this thing and it's just stored away in its original box.

I have a stock chipset heatsink/fan set that came with the AMD Athlon X2 3800+ processor I bought about a year and a half ago.

I didn't bother to check if it is compatible with your mobo, but if you can find whether it fits or not, I can ship it to you at no charge. Well, all you'd have to pay would be shipping, which shouldn't go higher than $10 at most, I guess.

The reason why I never used it was because I had previously bought a Thermaltake copper heatsink for the pc I was putting together. Thus, I never used the stock heatsink that came with the AMD processor because I paid good money for the Thermaltake and wanted to use it.

If you have doubts as to whether I am trustworthy, you can ask Edgecrusher. He recently bought something from me and was pleased with the transaction.

Let me know, man! I have no use for this thing and it's just stored away in its original box.

I think you are referring to the processor heatsink. Carci was talking about the chipset heatsink.

Thanks for the offer of help though, al3xand3r.

I like the looks of the heatsink you suggested, CH, but I'm not sure if it will fit inside of my computer. I'm running with that A8N5X mobo, and a monstrous eVGA 7800GT in the first PCI-e slot. It's nearly on top of my fan as it is. I'll try and get a picture of it to show soon, if I can...

I've also looked at getting this one instead http://www.svc.com/zanoco.html

It's cheaper, and is more likely to fit. Any idea if it has enough surface area still to run without needing a fan?

And in the meantime, the fan seems to be working fine again. (for now at least)

That should be plenty of surface area. Especially with the benefit of the little added airflow created by your graphics card. It is very likely that that heatsink will provide better cooling than your old one anyway, as the A8N chipset fans move about 1/10th of the air they could move. They are really just horrible.