Audio compression

Kentorai Matsuko

Okay, really dumb question from supernoob in 3... 2... 1.... I just finished my first remix ever, and it's kinda... well, big. 66.7 megs to be exact. I don't want to shorten the song any, but I'd like to drop the file size, so that I can post it. Does anyone know of a really good program that will cut a file size tremendously, but still allow it to be playable? Thanks.:oops:

Okay, really dumb question from supernoob in 3... 2... 1.... I just finished my first remix ever, and it's kinda... well, big. 66.7 megs to be exact. I don't want to shorten the song any, but I'd like to drop the file size, so that I can post it. Does anyone know of a really good program that will cut a file size tremendously, but still allow it to be playable? Thanks.:oops:

This is kinda in the wrong topic, but I'll answer it anyway.

What file format is your mix in? You'll need to compress it to an MP3 with reasonable quality(between 128 and 192kbps) before you can upload it. There are plenty of free MP3 encoders out there, but the best one is LAME. It's commandline-based, so you're probably gonna want a frontend like RazorLAME for it. Both can be found with some Googling.

Alternatively, iTunes can encode MP3s as well.

EDIT: Thread split off.