Alto Sax Improv (note bending/shaping)

I've been working on a remix for a while now and began recording on my alto for an improv section. I'm fine on the notes to play and recording, however, I'm having problems with the tone of my playing. It's essentially a flat tone that doesn't lend itself well to jazz or funk-type improv. I played for several years in high school and college, but that was almost exclusively classical-type music.

If you listen to live performers, there's a big difference in their play style in that they seem to shape the notes they're playing. Is there anyone that can help out with this type of question? I know there are at least a few sax players among the community, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The most important thing is to listen to players you like. See how they articulate their notes, what effects they use. I recommend figuring out the notes of a solo and playing along with it trying to match their sound.

Good funk players to listen to: Sanborn, Michael Brecker, Maceo Parker (played with James Brown), Lenny Picket (SNL band)

As far as your sound is concerned, it might be easier to achieve the sound you want with a different setup (mouthpiece, reeds, etc.). If you've been playing classical for years, you probably aren't playing on a mouthpiece that will make it easier for funk and jazz. Personally, I play on a Meyer 5 and java 3 reeds, but that might not be right for you. I do not know a whole lot about mouthpieces, it is best to do some research. You can also go to a music store and try out their selection.

As far as funk stuff goes, their are tons of effects and stuff that funk sax players will use. Try scooping into notes by lowering your jaw then bringing it back up. Do some googling to find other 'tricks' to use (growling, altissimo, etc)

If you really want to get good, get a private teacher

Sam has some great advice, and i'll sortof build off of the mouthpiece/reed part and say that a lot of the faux pas for equipment selection in classical are the best for rocking out with anything else. Get a bright sounding mouthpiece and buy a bunch of different reeds and try some stuff you normally wouldn't. Your sound needs to cut and cut hard, so bright isn't a bad thing here.

Getting a mouthpiece with a baffle will really help shape your sound into something that really cooks.

Using more pliable reeds (2.5 or even 2) give you a lot more control and also sound a lot funkier than something heavier, and maybe even experiment with some weird stuff like plastic coated reeds.

Also don't be shy about adjusting your embrochure; when I am ripping stuff out, i'll tend to have things a bit tighter on the sites of my mouth. Regardless, you will need a ton of breath support, and to help make sure your posture is correct, stand up when recording.

The most important thing is to listen to players you like. See how they articulate their notes, what effects they use. I recommend figuring out the notes of a solo and playing along with it trying to match their sound.

Good funk players to listen to: Sanborn, Michael Brecker, Maceo Parker (played with James Brown), Lenny Picket (SNL band)

As far as your sound is concerned, it might be easier to achieve the sound you want with a different setup (mouthpiece, reeds, etc.). If you've been playing classical for years, you probably aren't playing on a mouthpiece that will make it easier for funk and jazz. Personally, I play on a Meyer 5 and java 3 reeds, but that might not be right for you. I do not know a whole lot about mouthpieces, it is best to do some research. You can also go to a music store and try out their selection.

As far as funk stuff goes, their are tons of effects and stuff that funk sax players will use. Try scooping into notes by lowering your jaw then bringing it back up. Do some googling to find other 'tricks' to use (growling, altissimo, etc)

If you really want to get good, get a private teacher

Gabay? ()()()()()()()