Asio4All

www.asio4all.com

I brought this up in my thread about live performance, but people seem to have forgotten about that and the specific event I was preparing for is long since over. However, the biggest obstacle proved to be something Suzumebachi pointed out: that my piddly directsound laptop card has a high degree of latency. Upon testing this I found that to be the case. But I then I found that program and downloaded it. It also comes packed in FL7 (if not earlier versions as well). So it's my guess someone here has attempted to use it. I did, but it didn't seem to eliminate the latency issues. This, of course, causes me to wonder about Asio4All's overall use? Help, anyone?

By the way, please don't try and suggest I purchase a new sound card. I am attempting to SAVE money. If Asio4All can work for me I'd like to find out how. If I can't I'll need to put off live sound for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah geez forgot about this thread. I hope to have some OCRemixers look at it in person during the DC meetup. But for now...

Right now I'm just starting with Reason. It's compact, it's self-contained, and there's a huge support community. So I'm working with that. I installed the ReWuschel app and loaded up a rewire. I made sure it accepted the MIDI input (though it couldn't find my particular controller) and tried to play... I got the same latency as before. I wasn't running any other programs and my processor is 3.4 GHz.

I actually have a question about ASIO that i posted in my thread, but I might as well ask it here:

I have to use ASIO in order to get my Novation X-Station to get through to my computer. However, the driver (at least the way the X-Station Software set it up and using it in Live 6.0.5) won't let me get any output from the soundcard... I can record the sounds from synth and then switch back to my regular card to hear the sound, but I really need to hear the sound as its being played... Is there something I'm missing?

Pezman -- you probably need to go into the Asio4all settings and decrease the buffer size. This is what controls the latency - more buffer = longer latency, but you're less likely to get dropouts. So turn it low but hopefully keep your CPU usage down while you're trying to play a soft synth, and when you're doing other things turn it back up.

Hy Bound -- what kind of soundcard do you have? It could be a really crappy one that doesn't support full duplex (i.e. input and output at the same time).