Theory, sheet music, and how to make music.

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before, in some form or another, but I need an answer from someone who knows what they're doing, before I go crazy.

You see, I'm trying to teach myself how to read sheet music, play piano, and understand music theory.

Progress is slow.

I've been wondering, those of you who know how to read sheet music (and can play from it), how did you learn? What method would you recommend? I feel like the more and more I work on it, the more and more I'm missing something. Is it just countless hours of practice? Is it just mind-numbing repetition?

While I'm at it, does knowing theory even help with making music? If you study intervals until you can name them, does that help?

I would venture a guess that being able to recognize an interval by its sound alone would make it terribly simple to play what one hears. Is that right? Should I just memorize them?

Thanks! I am open to trying just about anything. The problem with working on my own is that I always get the feeling that I'm not doing it efficiently enough.

I've been wondering, those of you who know how to read sheet music (and can play from it), how did you learn?

Practice, and nothing more than that. It's easier for people who started playing when they were 3 and gradually made their way to more difficult pieces over a span of years and years. Me, I took lessons and then skipped up to take a level 8 exam within an year. The downside is that my sight-reading didn't come as naturally, so I had to really work on it. It's all about practice. Practice reading random notes of the stave. Practice reading a piece focused on reading each note right and ignoring the tempo. Go from simple to more difficult pieces gradually. There are even some programs that can help you with this.

While I'm at it, does knowing theory even help with making music?

Music theory allowed me to make the music I wanted more quickly, but the actual music wasn't that different. The only difference was that before I knew theory, I made music based on whatever sounded good, trial and error. Now that I know theory, I can already guess what will work and what work. The creative aspect didn't really change.

I would venture a guess that being able to recognize an interval by its sound alone would make it terribly simple to play what one hears.

Knowing your music theory does help with playing by ear, yeah. Recognizing chords, cadences, etc.

I've been wondering, those of you who know how to read sheet music (and can play from it), how did you learn? What method would you recommend? I feel like the more and more I work on it, the more and more I'm missing something. Is it just countless hours of practice? Is it just mind-numbing repetition?

well i learned with a piano teacher...and she had a number of different methods, but the one i remember the most is she had flash cards each with a different note in either the treble or bass clef, and i would have to name and play as many as possible in 30 seconds. of course i did all this when i was like 4 years old so i'm not sure if it will be useful to you...

another thing that might help would be the dozen a day books. they have lots of little easy exercises that would help both your reading and your technique, so i'd look into that.

While I'm at it, does knowing theory even help with making music? If you study intervals until you can name them, does that help?

ehh not really. intervals and scales are really part of the most basic music theory elements and are really only building blocks for things like music harmony, form analysis, counterpoint, etc. which are more applicable to actual composition...however those things really only apply to composition in the classical sense and probably will not do you much good.

I would venture a guess that being able to recognize an interval by its sound alone would make it terribly simple to play what one hears. Is that right? Should I just memorize them?

not necessarily...you may be able to know the interval but unless you have perfect pitch you'll still need to find the key. if you really want to learn intervals though, there are techniques like using songs to identify them (e.g. a perfect 4th sounds like "o christmas tree" and a perfect 5th sounds like the star wars theme, etc.)

probably the most effective use of your time is to learn to basics as you're doing right now, then focus on learning about modes and chord voicings and those sorts of things. that will give you the flexibility to play and write in pretty much any key.