Oracle of Seasons Jazz/Big-band/Rockabilly fusion (I think)

Tensei

Hay guys, this is what is going to be my submission for this weeks PRC contest. I've done the whole arrangement in 1 day (yesterday), and the whole production in 1 day as well (today), so as of now this is my quickest remix yet, but hopefully it's not too obvious.

I still have to fix velocities and humanization and record guitar, but it's mostly done. Also, those Tom-tom drums sound like shit, back to EQing again for me.

And yes, I totally ripped off the bassline as well as some piano sections, but at least the guitar is going to be playing a cookie cutter blues riff, so screw originality!

The original:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/z_OofAcrescentisland.mid

Me screwing up the original:

zfzp

Edit: ARGH whatever, guess it was Oracle of AGES, not Seasons. But who cares, it's not like I played either of them.

mwuv

Yes, I'm pretty much done now, arrangement is done, production is as good as done, with the exception of a little mastering session I'll do tomorrow, so this mix is ready to rock. Now if I could just have some feedback.

Edit: Yeah I knew I said there'd be guitar, but it just didn't really fit, so I let the piano take over it's part.

I really dig the arrangement. Its more of like a blues quartet/quintet if you ask me, but still a sweet tune. Very nice with the drum fills and solos too, definetly have some sequencing chops for sure.

The only thing I can think of that is bad is the samples aren't great, some might complain its too general midi sounding? Which is every loop makers problem, but maybe a little dynamics here and humanizing there and I think it would be great.

Yeah that's pretty much my only problem with it too, I didn't really take the time for extensive humanizing with the piano and bass (only did some velocities), but if I'm going to submit to OCR I'll definitely be doing that. That still leaves the saxophone though, since this is pretty much the best soundfont I could find, so maybe I'll give one of the sax players a ring about it.

Also, thanks for defining the musical genre, cause I really wouldn't have thought of that =P

Yeah, sax samples always sound the worst in my opinion. The only plugin that I've found that sounds good, and barely at that, is Liquid Sax. Its about a 7/10 in my book.

Im sure you can find a sax player to burn down some of those riffs. I'd give him/her a few days to look it through as there is some pretty quick passages. Also, do you use a midi keyboard for date input or a graphic editor? or both? Sometimes graphic input can get sounding too mechanical and stiff. Keep up the good arranging though!