Which software to use with a keyboard?

I have a Panasonic SX-KC200 and I'm wondering what software I should use to hook it up, whether I will be able to use the SFX from the keyboard, or whether it's even too old to work properly. I have a Sound Card-Midi port connector cable too.

I have a Panasonic SX-KC200 and I'm wondering what software I should use to hook it up

Doesn't matter. Start with the hooking up part first - if it doesn't have an USB port, you're going to need a USB-MIDI cable. If that's alright, then the software still doesn't matter; start shopping around with what you have as a budget. The rest is pretty much a matter of personal preference, and you can find out what yours is by downloading trial versions of the major sequencing programs (Ableton, FL Studio, Reason, Reaper, EnergyXT, Sonar, Cubase, whatever) and checking which of 'm 1) fits in your budget and 2) allows you to work with it easily.

whether I will be able to use the SFX from the keyboard

If by SFX you mean the sounds - like rain, waves, thunder, etc - "effect sounds", you can record them with your computer, and then use a software sampler (or one of the pieces of software mentioned above) to play them back.

If by SFX you mean an effect applied to the sound - e.g. a "Hall" or "Room" or "Chorus" effect that makes the "dry" sound different, then no.

or whether it's even too old to work properly. I have a Sound Card-Midi port connector cable too.

Those are pretty horrible ;). In that case the major undertaking is to make the software as mentioned above recognize that there's this cable attached - it is not mentioned under that name.

Try to get the FL Studio trial - lots of tutorials to find - go to the MIDI setup menu - http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/envsettings_midi.htm - and see if you can get the cable to work under "Input" - it probably has the name of your (on-board) soundcard. Also, keep in mind - the cable's MIDI IN goes into your keyboard's MIDI OUT (Cliff's notes: MIDI signal OUT of the keyboard goes IN the computer and vice-versa). This in case you can't get it to work. Just see if you see the MIDI lights blinking and you'll be able to work with it.

If by SFX you mean the sounds - like rain, waves, thunder, etc - "effect sounds", you can record them with your computer, and then use a software sampler (or one of the pieces of software mentioned above) to play them back.

He can also sequence music in a midi out channel and make his keyboard play it, presumably.