I am a noob at overtones/partials in additive synth

Lunahorum

I have a question about partials or overtones. Do they always go in whole number multiples? Like fundamental is 1, octave 2, 1.5 octaves (3x), 3 octaves (4x), and so on.

Well in the additive synth thingy or w/e it is in FL, it has little bars I have found that each one is a whole number multiple of the fundamental (at least the first few, I can't tell for the super later ones). I think it may be called sytrus or something. I forget and I cannot find it again. Anyways is there anyway to do additive synthesis, but adding any overtone you want instead of just the whole multiples? I was just wondering if such a thing was possible using an add synth.

I am reading the additive synth guide labeled super synths at http://www.computermusic.co.uk/page/computermusic?entry=free_beginner_pdfs

I have a question about partials or overtones. Do they always go in whole number multiples?

No. Multiples are (I think) specific to DX7-style FM synthesizers which benefit from the "ratio" idea since it leads to harmonious combinations with more ease. There are a lot of exciting sounds in the inharmonious domain, but they're just not that frequently used.

I think it may be called sytrus or something.

Yeah, that's the FM synth.

There's 2 buttons; one called "coarse" that should show you the ratio in multiples, and there should be one called "fine" that allows you to adjust in non-multiples.

I was just wondering if such a thing was possible using an add synth.

"Additive" is generally seen as different from regular FM synths :). Additive is about stacking sinewaves; FM is about creating sidebands with modulation.

From what I understand, an overtone or partial is by definition an integer multiple of the frequency of the fundamental. If you start throwing other frequencies in, I think it would sound more like a chord than a single note. I imagine there has to be some kind of tolerance (i.e. if you're nearly at the partial but not quite). Has anyone experimented with this? I've always been curious but I'm too lazy to do it, plus I've never actually had an additive synth.

Eventually your ears and brain will work together to hide the difference for you. Yes, you can tune it into chords, and yes, that'd be additive synthesis, but it's not that useful (and equal to a 3-oscillator synth having 3 sinewaves tuned that way).

You'll get more out of it if you use the Fourier series (which not only rises in tone but has its rising tones decreasing in volume).

Eventually your ears and brain will work together to hide the difference for you. Yes, you can tune it into chords, and yes, that'd be additive synthesis, but it's not that useful (and equal to a 3-oscillator synth having 3 sinewaves tuned that way).

You'll get more out of it if you use the Fourier series (which not only rises in tone but has its rising tones decreasing in volume).

Ok thanks, I will check that out :)

hey are you fray from wcreplays.com?

Yes :)

What do you mean by this? I know exactly what a fourier transform is, but what do you mean by I'll get more out of it? Every possible wave can be made up of a fourier series. How can I possibly not be using it? I am just confused. Please clarify.