askville, by amazon

herograw

So apparently this is an invite-only beta right now, so I apologize if someone finds this interesting and then can't use it, but yeah. askville. I got an email from amazon the other day inviting me to this site.

What it is: Essentially it's a question/answer website. You ask a question and up to five people can answer it (there's also a discussion thread linked to each question). The basic idea is that humans are better than computers at answering questions, and chances are SOMEONE has the answer.

This will probably change when it's no longer a beta, but right now all the answers i've been getting have been well thought-out and cordial. No spammers or anything like that. It's cool.

I guess the best example of "humans better than computers" in terms of asking questions is one of the questions I asked about this song that was stuck in my head from an old commercial. Within two hours of asking someone had an answer for me, and a couple hours later someone posted a link to the commercial in question, which was made a good 19 years ago!

Yeah, so check it out.