Gerudo Valley Middle Eastern Dance Mix (Zelda Ocarina of Time)

Strike911

Okay, so I've been listening to a lot of cheesy Persian dance music lately, and I felt like doing something with a 12/8 time signature.

So what better song to make a cheesy Persian dance groove to than the Gerudo Valley song from OOT? I mean, the Gerudo characters are heavily influenced by middle eastern culture so I figured it might fit kind of. So yeah, I tried to pick cheesy sounding synths and soundfonts because all of the music I've been listening to has been ridiculously.... well, cheesy sounding.

This link will stream the song immediately in it's own pop up window. :)

http://www.musicv2.com/stream.php?id=39489

Still just a work in progress, but yeah. What do you folks think?

I think the idea is better than the result, at this point. The choice of instruments isn't the best. The piano feels a bit too weak, the strings are very GM.

The signature is among my favourites nowadays, and not everyone can make something like that as most programs by default run in 4/4. Good use of the signature, too. It needs a better count-in, fixing the velocities on the intro piano to match what someone would play might do the trick.

It gets a little repetitive a little too soon, so it needs more variation, especially as short as it is. When I started out using trackers to write music, I got the advice never to repeat yourself. Never run the same thing twice in a row. There's a few places where this advice could help you perfect this remix.

The drums in the background should be given a little more room, a little more volume. I don't know where they fit in, but the break at 1:19 is one place I'd do something about, and using the drums there doesn't seem like a bad idea.

And what's with the ending? It comes out of nowhere. The remix starts, plays, and then it stops. You should build a bigger ending, or leave more room for the one you've got. You're lacking the grande finale feel that most mixes should have.

Laptop speakers and being too lazy to get my headphones prevents me from giving too much in-depth feedback on the mix, but what I can say is that it's not bad.

I like the idea of the Gerudo Desert theme like you described, but you're not quite there yet. While on one hand, I don't know how persian dance music sounds, but this is cheesy beyond what sounds good. This thing is worth completing, worth listening to. Keep at it.

well roz like he said its a wip, and i think your off to a good start. It may be my headphones but it seemed like the bass could come up a little bit, as well as the drums.

As a suggestion, it seems like youve got a good base laid for the next element of whatever direction your gonna take this piece, though i might say some kind of improv piano part or at least developed counter melody would add some nice flavor.

If you really wanna spice it up and make it really sound middle eastern, i would try looking for some sound effects to match. I.E. tambourines, finger cymbals, maybe a sitar as another instrument, or maybe even a doumbec or tar (or something similar). That would really make it cool.

Just as a side note, i may be wrong, but it i remember correctly, that music in the game was heavily influenced by spanish music. I.E. had a lot of castanets and flamenco guitar, but whatever who the hell cares lol.

Lastly, i might consider putting some reverb on that guitar to make it a little more three dimensional. The problem with synths imitating real instruments is that they need a lot of cosmetics. Looking forward to hearing the update!