Final Fantasy IX: Protecting My Devotion

DJBunny

Less than 30 seconds in and both of those synths are already annoying. You could really use some better sounds. The bass synth is too loud and gets obnoxious quickly. Really, you've got about one minute worth of material stretched out and repeating for almost four minutes. Not trying to sound mean, but if you are planning to fix this up for OCR submission, you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

I recommend listening to some other people's techno remixes and trying to imitate what you hear. That will help you start figuring some of the basics out.

yea i gotta agree with sephire on this one. A couple things i noticed in my analysis:

For the most part, the mastering seems well balanced, with the exception of a few effects that seem to over-dominate.

However, some of the effects / synths are somewhat repetitive, which actually makes it kind of difficult to listen to. Now i know that in some forms of trance/techno/club etc., sometimes these attributes are desirable; where the droning effect becomes the concept, and in which effects are intended to be macabre, invoking and even arbitrary. However, I'm not sure it works in this piece. IMO, it would take some compositional work to make the effects sound meaningful, and more importantly, functional. Even in crazy forms of the style, good songs will have composition and use such crazy/interesting attributes to add to the composition.

For some reference, Christopher Lawrence is the golden god of trance composition.

Also, this is purely preference, but the synths seem over exposed. Dont give them reverb unless you want to, i just always feel like my synths are naked without at leas a little echo/reverb.

Also, im not familiar with the source tune. Are you able to link it? I think the most important problem to attack is where and how you execute the source material. Ive played final fantasy 9 (tho its been a long time lol) and i couldnt really pick the theme out. Thats not to say its not there, it just means i couldnt identify it. If i had that i could identify some aspects of how it was covered in this remix.

Good job though, mastering and EQ is one of the hardest aspects of any mix, so kudos.

For the most part, the mastering seems well balanced, with the exception of a few effects that seem to over-dominate.

However, some of the effects / synths are somewhat repetitive, which actually makes it kind of difficult to listen to [. . .] IMO, it would take some compositional work to make the effects sound meaningful, and more importantly, functional. Even in crazy forms of the style, good songs will have composition and use such crazy/interesting attributes to add to the composition.

Your (and sephfire's) point about the synths is definitely right on the mark; I agree I need to work on it.

Also, this is purely preference, but the synths seem over exposed. Dont give them reverb unless you want to, i just always feel like my synths are naked without at leas a little echo/reverb.

I swear I meant to put reverb in! :oops: Honestly, I was planning on it, then forgot to do that before I rendered the song.

Ive played final fantasy 9 (tho its been a long time lol) and i couldnt really pick the theme out. Thats not to say its not there, it just means i couldnt identify it. If i had that i could identify some aspects of how it was covered in this remix.

http://bluelaguna.net/downloads/mp3s/ff9music/76+-+Protecting+My+Devotion.mp3

http://bluelaguna.net/downloads/mp3s/ff9music/60+-+Loss+of+Me.mp3

Two different styles, but same melody. As you might notice...I didn't really do too much with it yet.

Good job though, mastering and EQ is one of the hardest aspects of any mix, so kudos.

Thanks! :)