Redrum and Sequencer sounds different

Hi,

This is my first day using Reason and I've run into the first of probably many snags.

I wrote I nice little beat in Redrum and I went to edit and hit copy pattern to track. Then when I unselect "enable pattern section" in Redrum and playback what my track in the sequencer it's there, but a lot of my sounds sound completely different. For example, I was using bd_boomer, and that sounds like "BOOOOOOM" and when I play it back in the sequencer it sounds like "bo". I'm not talking about like there isn't enough bass or anything, I mean it sounds like someone took the lenth all the way down to nothing.

So why when I just play it back in the sequencer would it sound different?

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks.

For each of the redrum channels, there's a little switch right next to the "length" knob that sets the decay/gate mode. It can be set to the thing that looks like a hat (mode 1) or the thing that looks like... uh... a thorn (mode 0). If the switch is set to the mode 1, the sample will only play for as long as the note in the sequencer. Either make the notes in the sequencer longer or set the switch to mode 0. That should be it.

Hi,

This is my first day using Reason and I've run into the first of probably many snags.

I wrote I nice little beat in Redrum and I went to edit and hit copy pattern to track. Then when I unselect "enable pattern section" in Redrum and playback what my track in the sequencer it's there, but a lot of my sounds sound completely different. For example, I was using bd_boomer, and that sounds like "BOOOOOOM" and when I play it back in the sequencer it sounds like "bo". I'm not talking about like there isn't enough bass or anything, I mean it sounds like someone took the lenth all the way down to nothing.

So why when I just play it back in the sequencer would it sound different?

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks.

Check all the parameters on the Redrum, first and formost the "lenght" knob. Also check if velocity is assigned to affect something, like the tone. Look for the "vel" knobs and be sure to turn them down if you don't want velocity to effect the sound.

If that doesn't work, look at your samples, are they corrupted or half? Did you load the wrong one?

Hope that helps

You're brilliant!!! Thank you soo much Dafydd. I was playing around and switching things, though I didn't know what they did! That fixed it!

What is the purpose of that option? Why would anyone want to drag each note in the sequencer to get it to sound like it does in redrum, when they could just use a switch? (Why even have the switch?)

Thank you again so much!!

Thanks to you Another Soundscape too!

What is the purpose of that option? Why would anyone want to drag each note in the sequencer to get it to sound like it does in redrum, when they could just use a switch?

It just gives you the option of dealing in a different way with how the sound decays. If, for example, you want some of the hits to be cut short but others to be the full length, that would be the easiest way to do it -- like maybe if you're trying to program a flam on a snare drum, it might sound best if only the last hit was the full length.

What is the purpose of that option? Why would anyone want to drag each note in the sequencer to get it to sound like it does in redrum, when they could just use a switch? (Why even have the switch?)

Not all people sequence. I, for one, play everything on my keyboard or with pads and then it's great to have another way to alter the sound by playing. It also gives drums a stutter feel when you're able to choose the length of the sound, you can for example do some really nice fills or glitchy IDM stuff.

Yet another thing is longer samples, maybe you just want the first attack of the kick for the most part but the whole body and decay during chorus. This can easily be achieved in this way so you don't have to automate length.