Metroid Remixes-Tourian, Red Brinstar, Ridley

AStinkToThePast

Leave feedback please!

The first one I have is Tourian. It's based off of Super Metroid(Sound effects) and Zero Mission(the harmonies and chords)

TourianASTTP.mp3 - 2.39MB

Next is the Red Brinstar area from Super Metroid. I gave it a tribal sound to give it a more lonely feel, as if Samus was stranded somewhere

http://www.zshare.net/audio/83779440f70a5f9a/

And last, but not least, Ridley:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/83779524a8880363/

I'm still trying to come up with more ideas for these tracks, so all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

I like your sound design in Riddle Ease, but the mixing could use some more focus and the interjecting melodies aren't as they are in source. I do enjoy the 5/4. :D

Brinstar Red might be a bit on the conservative side for ocr, but it's nice to hear something that's not built on the 6-note pattern but on the two-note/choir backing instead. Sound design is interesting, suffering some mixing/focus problems but is pretty cool otherwise. There's a little sound right the choir comes in that keeps bothering me, probably part of the attack of the flute or something. Too short and too loud. Has a nice world music vibe to it.

Good sound choices, but you need to mix them in a little better. In RE you have some toms or something that are way too bass-y, and your lead string pluck thing in Red is thin. Listen for issues like that, learn to hear them. Arrangement ain't bad but probably on the conservative side of the interpretation bar if you'd sub them.

Brinstar Red: The rattle is a little too loud, and when your chorus comes in it sounds like there's an extra high piano note or two that shouldn't be there. REALLY liking the "Jurassic" or "Prehistoric" feel of it, and like Rozovian said, there's some mixing issues. The percussion's higher pitch means it shouldn't - at least in my uneducated opinion - be as loud, because the higher sound will travel fine without the extra volume.

... Actually, the drums are fine, it's that damn rattle drowning everything else out. If I had to nitpick (note: uneducated non-remixer nitpicking, good sign this should be taken with a grain of salt), I'd say the voices in the background sound too synth-like (I realize that's what it actually is) and don't match the feel of the rest of the song. I'd suggest getting a recording of yourself doing the "aah" sound, then pitch-change and layer it to make something that sounds similar but more natural.

----------------------

Tourian: I like the driving background melody, it's a good strong start to the song, and it kind of reminds me of the "Time Bomb Set, Get Out Fast" music, but it seems to take a really long time for the sound effects in the foreground to catch up - they're too ambient and slow, and even when they do get a little more pervasive about halfway through the song, there's still no real drive to the song. You periodically play the melody from Tourian, but the song feels as though it has no purpose. It's ambient, in a kind of imminently creepy way, and that may be what you're going for, but even then it feels just a little too disconnected. Maybe a really soft, low bass track playing the basic chords for the melody over the whole thing?

----------------------

Riddle Ease: Background percussion/synth is too loud, it drowns out the foreground craziness, which is what takes the song from "kind of cool" to "holy crap" energy levels. Your high hats in particular seem to snap a little too loudly. I like the structure of it, and honestly I think you could keep that "alarm" sound effect you had going the whole time, at a lower volume level. Other than that, it sounds like it could actually be in a Metroid game.

Brinstar Red might be a bit on the conservative side for ocr, but it's nice to hear something that's not built on the 6-note pattern but on the two-note/choir backing instead. Sound design is interesting, suffering some mixing/focus problems but is pretty cool otherwise. There's a little sound right the choir comes in that keeps bothering me, probably part of the attack of the flute or something. Too short and too loud. Has a nice world music vibe to it.
Brinstar Red: The rattle is a little too loud, and when your chorus comes in it sounds like there's an extra high piano note or two that shouldn't be there.

Thanks guys... I really appreciate the feedback. I will work on my mixing issues, and aim for a more "focused" and connected sound.

I now realize that I was trying way too hard to emphasize the "tribal" sound of the Red Brinstar theme... The rattle and percussion don't need to be that loud to get the point across.

I'd say the voices in the background sound too synth-like (I realize that's what it actually is) and don't match the feel of the rest of the song. I'd suggest getting a recording of yourself doing the "aah" sound, then pitch-change and layer it to make something that sounds similar but more natural.

That's a really good idea.

Tourian: I like the driving background melody, it's a good strong start to the song, and it kind of reminds me of the "Time Bomb Set, Get Out Fast" music, but it seems to take a really long time for the sound effects in the foreground to catch up - they're too ambient and slow, and even when they do get a little more pervasive about halfway through the song, there's still no real drive to the song. You periodically play the melody from Tourian, but the song feels as though it has no purpose. It's ambient, in a kind of imminently creepy way, and that may be what you're going for, but even then it feels just a little too disconnected. Maybe a really soft, low bass track playing the basic chords for the melody over the whole thing?

I was trying to mimic the Super Metroid version... the way the melody comes in at seemingly random parts. I was aiming to create a "realistic" scene... Instead of being in a bright, cheery science lab with Metroids floating everywhere, you're in an abandoned nuthouse and you don't really know what you'll find. This version of Tourian is the place where cannibals live, where psychotic experiments once took place. It's dysfuctional, lights flicker on and off, electrical sparks popping out of wires, and all sorts of other creepy stuff. The periodic melody only serves to remind you that you're playing a video game.

I admit that I didn't really know how to use the sound effects... they were actually just a bunch of random creepy sounds with no structure, so I will work on utilizing them better.And because I have no visuals to go with my remix, I guess most people wouldn't really understand exactly what I was trying to do. So, I will mark that as a fail, and I will take your advice.

I appreciate the feedback guys!