OCR02459 - *YES* Mega Man X5 'Zero's Plight'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: DJ SymBiotiX

Userid: 15925

Game Arranged: Megaman X5

Songs Arranged: Zero Stage 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJPx7r5Q6s) , Opening Stage Zero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgsBH3zURt8)

Remix Name: Zero's Plight

NOTE: A few things first off. This submission is for the MMX: Maverick Rising project. Secondly, this is my final mixdown of the track. The track will be mastered by blind at a future date, so technically this isn't the *final* mp3, but since we want to stick to the release date, I figured I would submit my mixdown and let you guys know that it will be mastered at a later date. So note that it will be very quiet as it has not been mastered yet.

Comments: This remix is mostly a remix of Zero Stage 1. I wanted to take the original arp and breakdown and expand it in to something more. Adding a bunch of layers and expanding on the idea. The first breakdown is really the only part that is completely original and the rest uses the source material and adds on to it, and rearranges it. The second breakdown is where I used a bit of Opening Stage Zero. The breakdown uses one of the melodies from that track, and the part right after it (the 4 on the floor trance part) is basically a rearrangement of that breakdown.

I had so much fun making this track, and received tons of great tips and suggestions from Bahamut and Blind on how to bring more of the core out.

This track is a nice lush energetic trance track with some awesome melodies and sounscapes, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

- Fernando Chorney

--------------------

Zero Stage 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJPx7r5Q6s

Opening Stage Zero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgsBH3zURt8

Good sources to work with. Zero Stage 1 is pretty repetitive, and I think you did a pretty good job of adding to it in such a way to expand on it well, although I think this still suffers a bit from a 'been there, done that' sort of feeling towards the end. I think you could trim this down a bit, starting with the intro. Even though you're adding parts to it, 1:17 of an intro just feels like too much before we get into some good melodic content.

Production is pretty decent all around, but I felt like there's a lot going on in the mid-ranges for parts of the mix, which is crowding things more than it needs to. There are some fun counter-melodies and harmonies that aren't coming out as well as they could. The lead synths aren't cutting as well as I'd like, either, partly due to the issue above, and partly due to synth choice.

It's a fun start, but I think it needs some revision.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

The intro is nice and dramatic, but drags just a little - i think a bit of trimming would be the best bet there. There is something to be said for going 8 measures a time and adding a single element each time, but I think the mix would be better served if you cut out the second-to-last repetition and added the arp and the drum pattern at the same time, instead of drums for a repetition, then arp.

When the main melody comes in, It should hit a little harder, and maybe have a little more high end, to help it stand out. You have this super long intro - brief main melody, and then right a way a breakdown. It's like you stop the momentum before it even gets there.

Detail-wise, you keep the song very interesting with a lot of little variations and ornaments, though some are a little obscured. The ending was also a bit static, and could have used a bit more excitement.

So, definitely a good start, but needs some polish- some tips-

- trim the arrangement down to feature more variation for the duration

- add a little more high end in the mix, to give it a bit more shimmer. It doesn't need a lot, just a touch.

- emphasize the builds better. You have some great breakdowns, but they would be even more epic if you had some MASSIVE builds right before, to really show the contrast.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't crazy about the sound design, but the balancing is pretty good and the mastering is nice and punchy. I like the way you meshed the two sources.. they actually have somewhat similar intros despite being in different keys.

the drums were kinda on autopilot until the breakdown, so the four on the floor section that came after was a welcome change. could have used some more variation in the actual percussion sounds used throughout the track as well. the intro was pretty long, but there was a lot of good evolution and build up to the first melody, so it wasn't a big deal to me. solid production+arrangement gets my vote. :nicework:

YES

There were a lot of things working for this track. The way it handled the source melody was inspired, and the balance and placement of instruments was nice. Good sound choices. My biggest problem was the level of repetition: in the drums, the melody in the 4 on the floor section. When a song starts to wear during the first listen, it's typically a sign that there should have been more change-ups. I'm not sure it's that big a deal and overall I still liked the song a fair bit. I think it's good enough.

YES