Papers Please - Orchestral Cover

OC/DC

I think the melody up until 0:50 doesn't play nicely with the accompaniment. You have a quiet dulcimer sort of instrument playing melody over top of loud brass stabs, and the brass tends to cover the melody up. The orchestration is much clearer after 0:50 because first the brass drops out, then later the melody itself is played by the brass. In the section before 0:50, I'd suggest either toning the brass down substantially or playing the melody on a trumpet instead of the dulcimer-like instrument.

Your English was actually great, at least in that first post. I wanted to affirm that for you so that you know it's good. :-)

I think the melody up until 0:50 doesn't play nicely with the accompaniment. You have a quiet dulcimer sort of instrument playing melody over top of loud brass stabs, and the brass tends to cover the melody up. The orchestration is much clearer after 0:50 because first the brass drops out, then later the melody itself is played by the brass. In the section before 0:50, I'd suggest either toning the brass down substantially or playing the melody on a trumpet instead of the dulcimer-like instrument.

Good criticisms here; I agreed with Moseph for the most part, though I don't feel you need to replace the dulcimer-style lead. Still, adjusting the balance in the first minute so that the melody doesn't get drowned out would feel more appropriate.

Some sort of build-up or dropoff that took out the marching style drums and slowed things down could be interesting, but that may not work with the overall feeling you're going for, which is just a more expansive sound that keeps the feel of the original track.

In any case, this was a pretty solid arrangement despite it being so short. You did a good job varying the instruments so that the overall presentation didn't feel too repetitive.

Thank you for your advices and your kind words!

Well I tried to be as close as possible to the original sound in the first 50 seconds, so I choose this dulcimer-style instrument (which is the Dobro by 8Dio) but yeah the balance is a bit weird.

Balancing/Mixing the instruments is my main issue at the moment (with other remixes I did as well), I will try to improve that in the future!

Really not bad ! I agree with Moseph too, the melody is a little overwhelmed by the others instruments during the first minute. Otherwise, it is a pretty good arrangement and so the mixing.

You may want to play a little bit with the audio panning. For instance, the trumpet at 1:26 could pass from right to left at each "phrase", like they were responding to each other. But that's maybe just me who likes to play with panning :P

In any case.. Well done ! (my english may be bad too by the way ^^).