Guiles Theme - New Orchestral Remix - Updated!

CoolBeets

This is the new version of my orchestral remix of Guile's theme.

I Started over completely from scratch and have taken the critique I received on the old version into account, but I still feel that it isn't quite "there" yet, somethings missing.

I'd love some feedback on this, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

[EDIT: link below has been updated, the old version is still available on soundcloud of anyone wants to listen and compare.]

I think this is pretty good, the only thing that really throws me off is the piano bass part. All the velocities sound the same to me, and despite the fact that whatever instrument patch you're using is MIDI, it just sounds really quantized and mechanical. Doesn't sound like a human is playing it: it's too perfect.

23 hours ago, Ridiculously Garrett said:

I think this is pretty good, the only thing that really throws me off is the piano bass part. All the velocities sound the same to me, and despite the fact that whatever instrument patch you're using is MIDI, it just sounds really quantized and mechanical. Doesn't sound like a human is playing it: it's too perfect.

You're absolutely right, I changed it and added some swing and now it sounds way better. I also changed up the choirs a little and I think that did it, take a listen and tell me what you think :)

Might I suggest some EQing and more variable note velocities. The drums sound clean, but the orchestrated instruments are too muddy and stiff...

Also maybe some more note variations. Like, instead of having the strings hold consistant chords, try to create melodies for each that maintain the chord, but not hold it to one note.

5 minutes ago, Rotten Eggplant said:

Might I suggest some EQing and more variable note velocities. The drums sound clean, but the orchestrated instruments are too muddy and stiff...

Also maybe some more note variations. Like, instead of having the strings hold consistant chords, try to create melodies for each that maintain the chord, but not hold it to one note.

I'll see what I can do, stay tuned :)