OCR02049 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 3 'Pipes'

OceansAndrew

Hello OcRemix,

My name is Josh Queen. I play in the band Seventh Epic. We've been enjoying the music that comes out of the OCRemix community for years now. We just finished a VG remix of our own and would love for you to consider it for the site. Let me know if you need anything else from us. Thanks for the forum guys keep up the good work. A winner is you.

Josh

~7E

Information:

Song Name: "Pipes"

Remixer Name: Seventh Epic

E-mail Address: seventhepic@gmail.com

Name of the Game Arranged: Super Mario Bros. 3

Name of the Individual song arranged: Underground / Pipe Theme?

Download Link:

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeuKOOsPXw

Comments:

We've been enjoying the site for years, to the point where it has influenced our original scores. We have been wanting to add a cover to our live act , couldn't resist doing the game cover, and went ahead and followed this mix all the way through to production. What resulted is "Pipes". What originally inspired this mix wasn't necessarily the melody (the one strait from SMB1) but more that early 90's hip/hop beat that was added when SMB3 was released. The rest was fairly easy and more fun than killing hundreds of mutant turtles. Enjoy.

I'm definitely feeling the arrangement; there are tons of great variations on the source, with some great new parts, and a cool ending. Great creativity in mixing things up while still being recognizable.

From the production end, the snare might be a bit too prominent, but other than that, it's definitely over the bar, with a varied soundscape, some nice 7 string lowness that still sounds crisp, and great synths. The organ during the solo was also a nice touch in keeping the track sounding fresh.

yes

Way to rock that source! A textbook example of good arrangement and variation for OCR, two thumbs way up! Production is not quite on the same level as the arrangement but it's overall good. Guitars feel a bit too upfront at times and there's a bit of a dull character to the solo guitar but it's no big deal.

Way to submit your first arrangement guys, level way the fuck up!

YES

Yeah arrangement is very cool. The classic original doesn't have a lot to it, so the variations here really do it justice.

I like the rough, raw sound you've got, but the mixing could have been better. That low-end gets really crowded - by the end of the song, you can barely hear the kick. I can't imagine it's that big a fix, might just be cutting out the mud. I'll call it a conditional YES, I think some of that needs to be cleaned up before I'd YES it.

YES (conditional on mixing)

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah arrangement is very cool. The classic original doesn't have a lot to it, so the variations here really do it justice.

I like the rough, raw sound you've got, but the mixing could have been better. That low-end gets really crowded - by the end of the song, you can barely hear the kick. I can't imagine it's that big a fix, might just be cutting out the mud. I'll call it a conditional YES, I think some of that needs to be cleaned up before I'd YES it.

I'm enjoying the arrangement, but completely agree with Vinnie on the production and how the low-end sounds really crowded. It just doesn't sound solid and definitely needs to be cleaned up before we move forward.

YES (conditional)