*NO* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Can't Boss Us Around'

OceansAndrew

Remixers: HoboKa and Audio Fidelity

Game: Donkey Kong Country 3 (project remix)

Track Remixed: Boss Boogie

Remix name: Can't Boss us Around

Description:

Well, I've always been a fan of the boss music for DKC3, so when I saw it vacant on the project list, I just had to remix it =p. I think I did a fairly decent job over-all, but I realized that my production skills still aren't up to par...yeah I'm a slow learner. So that's where Audio Fidelity came in ;). He helped master the remix and edited some of the tracks to make them more bad-ass.

The direction I took for "Can't Boss Us Around" is a more gritty, electronic/DnB take, with my sexy atmospheric touch :D. Yeah, so I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECHxV2GFf18

pretty decent expansion of the source and a good sound upgrade. Not all the sound choices were totally on, but overall things were feeling cohesive, if a bit repetitive.

Production sounds pretty over compressed, and the snare is a little strange to me, but otherwise I can dig it. Things are reasonably balanced, if a bit over-reverbed, which gives things a pretty strong layer of sonic mud.

Overall I was feeling this, but there are some issues that need to be addressed. THis is definitely the right direction. Easily the best sounding and most focused of your mixes, dude. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Good concept, this source works well given this kind of treatment. The arrangement is pretty good here, but something about the production is definitely off. Overcompressed for sure, but also the mixing is messy. The lead is shaped strangely, it doesn't cut that well and sounds like some drastic EQ was applied. At 0:42, another instrument is added and the combination of that and the lead makes it hard to make out either. At 1:41 one of the background synths pokes its head out and sounds in your face, when it should be more pushed back. On top of that, the instruments largely sound like they are in separate spaces - that's the reverb thing OA mentioned. Sorry guys, it just didn't sit right with me.

Sometimes my songs start to sound like this when I have too many effects on the track, e.g. sometimes I cut one instrument on the highs, only to boost it later down the chain instead of removing the first EQ. I would suggest starting from scratch with some of these tracks. Take off all the effects - EQ, filtering, reverb - and try to make the instruments sound more natural.

NO (resubmit)

Vinnie hit essentially what I was going to say with better wording and advice. The arrangement is overall some nice work, but the production has a few issues that are really holding things back. My biggest issue was the overall muddiness of the track, and then things starting to sound awkwardly crowded. Along with that, the reverb and compression aren't at the levels they need to be.

I think this is where it needs to be for arrangement, but without those production fixes it can't achieve it's potential.

NO (resubmit)