*NO* Streets of Rage 'Groove On'

DragonAvenger

Guys,

After a long break, here is another Streets of Rage remix. Once again, it's housey and dancey. Once again it's fun, or at least I think so. Whereas for all my previous mixes I always wrote a small essay in my submission emails, mainly because there was a bit of a back story to each one, this one doesn't really require one. It is just a remix that wrote itself and I had a ton of fun making.

Enjoy!

Remixer: ambient

Name: Alex Gventsadze

Game: Streets of Rage

Song arranged: Keep the Groovin' (Round 4)

Remix title: Groove on

------------------------------------

The treble is overhyped in this track- it's feeling to me like an old school DJP track in it's ability to stab my ears. THe sounds generally sound over-compressed as well. Might want to tone that down a bit. :/

The feel of the track is pretty fun, though it's a pretty basic feel for most of the duration. The breakdown to the wah guitar was pretty cool, and the sounds generally were working, but it seemed like the track didn't really have a huge climax. ALso, the intro felt a bit long, even though new elements kept getting added. I dunno, I guess i'm not really sure why i'm feeling lukewarm on this track, because there are some sick parts, like the stuttering right before the wah breakdown. I think the arrangement passes muster, but that compression needs to be toned down, and that high end synth needs some eq. Easy fixes.

No, please resubmit

Right now it feels like the balance of the instruments is off, and it's throwing off my focus. That first synth is also pretty piercing, and needs to be toned down a bit.

What I noticed after listening a couple times to this is that it takes almost 3 minutes before you make the first truly solid connection to the main source melody. Even though there are plenty of hints to it throughout, the track might benefit from hearing it earlier than the last quarter of the piece. I like a lot of the elements going on, although once the track establishes it's groove, it doesn't really build anymore (or less) which makes things a tad static after a while. That might be the issue Andrew is having overall, as well.

The production is really holding things back, although it wouldn't hurt to look at the arrangement as well. I think you are on the right track here, though.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

My freakin' ears! Sorry to bust out language you'd hear at Denny's, Alex, but the treble is way high on this, and the compression gets out-of-hand. With those two issues resolved, this is an easy pass. The arrangement is awesome, lots of fun FX and moments, and I was hearing source most of the way through this. PM one of us if you're willing to make those fixes and we'll try to fast-track the resubmit.

NO (resubmit)