Contact Info:

ReMixer name: AMT

Email: athreshe@nmt.edu

UserID: 9241

Submission info:

Name of game arranged: The World Ends With You

Song: Calling / Deja Vu

Song Title: Noise Pollution

Info: I have fun taking songs and doing them in completely different songs every now and then, so I decided to take one of the catchier J-Pop songs from TWEWY and punk it out. It was really fun to make and gave me an opportunity to play a pretty fun bassline. The bridge uses lyrics from Deja Vu, but musically I'm pretty sure it's all from Calling. I know vocals aren't my strong point, but I had a lot of fun making this and I figured submitting couldn't hurt. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

---------------------

- Calling You

- Deja Vu

Right away this is very loud. The entire song could be turned down a notch or two.

What I'm hearing overall is an interesting style change from the original, and at times this is working pretty nicely, but there are some definite problems that need to be addressed. The arrangement is pretty coverish, which isn't going to really fly for OCR. Think about expanding on the original melodies, or adding in some new original sections. The style arrangement alone can't pull this through here.

You admit that vocals aren't your strong point. I think you have a good voice in there somewhere, but your intonation needs a lot of work. A more professional vocalist might be able to give you advice (hopefully Jill can chime in with a vote here), but I would start by suggesting you get some good vocal warm ups and exercises to practice your breath control and work on steadying out your intonation. Also, listen to yourself often, even if it's embarrassing. If you can hear the problem on a playback, you'll start to hear it when you're singing, and from there start on fixing it.

Production overall is pretty muddy. The vocals sound a little distant overall, and the reverb and delay need to be tweaked a bit. Sometimes the balance is off between the instruments. Focus on which parts need to be heard the most in different times.

I think you've got a good idea here, and a start, but there's a lot to be done. Use the WIP forums to get more steady feedback, and keep working on it.

NO

The RMS of the mix is overloud, and I think i heard a little bit of clipping in some areas. You'll want to tone it down overall.

It's a good cover, and you have a good singing voice, tonewise, but the intonation is very uneven. That just comes with practice or studio magic (the former is much preferable, obviously), but you have the potential to be a really solid singer with some work.

The performances were good overall, though I think the arrangement is too close to the original, and a little bit of additional expansion certainly wouldn't hurt.

No

• 4 weeks later...

I like the arrangement, it's a really good concept. It's a little on the coverish side, but there was enough going on dynamically to make it stand apart. The mix of Deja Vu also added.

The song is definitely clamping down, so bringing everything back down is the first order of business. The mixing is pretty muddy which might be the culprit for the clamping, and the vocals got lost in a sea of guitars and drums. There's no separation at all, and you'll need to make some EQ cuts to get everything to show up. Possibly some rerecording too, there sounded like there was some noise on some parts. Your intonation is also an issue, though in this song you've kind of got that rock "don't-give-a-shit" snarl going on, and intonation is less of a deal with that style. Still, some light pitch correction or additional takes would probably help here. Did you cut and paste some vocals? Some of the takes sounded very identical to me, and if it is separate takes, it could use some change-up in delivery. Some of the vocal lines come across kind of flat and those would be good to redo.

I won't lie, I think this would take a fair amount of work to get to a passable state, but IMO it would be worth it. The arrangement is very cool and I'd love to hear a polished version of it. Also, diotrans got excited about this and urges you to resubmit. :-)

NO (resubmit)