DragonAvenger

....yeah.

Your ReMixer name: Brandon Strader

Your real name: Brandon E. Strader

Your email address: oinkness@gmail.com

Your website: http://www.bstrader.net/

Your userid 3123

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country 3

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Brothers Bear (SNES)

Dave Wise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JibGNrKohU

Made this in a couple days for DKC3 project..

It was very fun to make due to how generic bluesy rock the source is.. I kinda stayed in that same general area with it..

I was inspired by Uprising by Muse for the drums and bassline.. but for the most part I think it is extremely true to the original...

there's a couple solo breaks but they're in the style of the song and give a short break before heading back into the rock...

give it a few listens and let it grow on you, this stuff is contagious....

anyway I'll make it easy on you this time with a source map instead of text. This shows exactly in the session where all the source usage is...

http://www.bstrader.net/remixes/unbearablesource.png

as you can see it's well over 70%... So it is a little bit on the conservative side, but I think the little change in the bassline and drums might even that out a bit.

I've been getting in a lot of trouble with the panel for having too many elements in the songs... I tried to keep it simple this time...

there's not a lot of pieces fighting for your attention and everything can be heard clearly and fully. A couple great blues solos that I really enjoyed playing.

Anyway, I suck at write-ups so here's my copy pasta from dkc3 secret forum;

"I made this song in a couple days from the source "Brothers Bear". I liked the bluesy rock sound of the original, so I stayed very true to that with the remix. The remix is very conservative, meaning that it does have a huge rendition of the source in there, but there are also a couple nice little breakdowns as well. "Unbearable" is dedicated to the highly annoying Emunator, which I severely hate and wish nothing but torment and pain for. The song proudly displays a love for live instrumentation and blues solos!"

------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADh5K-5j56s

I went pretty back-and-forth on this. The arrangement is pretty good, and expands on the style of the original. There's a decent amount of soloing in here, but it returns to the source very often, and keeps pretty consistent. I think the issue here is that overall it feels a little plain. For example, a lot of the background patterns, like the piano, are used without much change in them. There isn't much change in terms of dynamic, and the energy gets static after a while. I think hitting those sorts of little details are needed for something like this, where the source itself is pretty bleh (IMO).

Some sections feel a little mechanical, the piano especially. Drums have some variations, but get stuck on the same pattern a lot, which could use some pizazz as well. Aside from those issues, there isn't much to fault on production that I can hear.

There's a lot of potential here and it's great for the project, but it's just not at the level it needs to be for the site.

NO (resubmit)

I was digging the sassy bassline, but when the piano came in, it kindof lost the momentum, with a timid sounding melody line. IT has no real gusto, and with a midtempo rocker like this, you need some swagger. It just feels to me like you are going through the motions a little. I feel the track, and the bass performance is really appealing, but the rest of the track feels uninspired.

The 'hey's' added some fun charm to the track and gave that section a shot in the arm, but when the mechanical piano and bored sounding lead playing came in, it lost it again.

I think this one needs to be revisited, sorry man. :-(

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Theeeeeeeyy willl notttt foooooooorce uuuuusssss

I saw the similarity to the Muse track, but this really didn't have the same energy level. The first time I listened through it seemed like you had some good variations, but the second time, a lot of it felt like wheel-spinning and it dragged.

Production might be a factor too. The mid-low range sounded hollow, maybe you EQ'ed too much out of the instruments. The piano is pretty weak for a lead, compressed and mechanical. When you switched over to your favored guitar, it was a lot more enjoyable.

Source usage was fine, but I think this one needs more work.

NO (resubmit)