Name of individual song arranged: Ohnami Konami

ReMix name: Zenpyou

Original Composer: Nazo² Unit

System: Sega Genesis

Developer: Treasure

Year: 1994

Link to the source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DHLrC10 ... 7E3FC304ED

Comments:

DusK: This remix was created as part of a project aiming to tribute the soundtrack of Dynamite Headdy, called Secret Bonus Point. I love the source material, it's one of my favorite tracks in the game, and I was really able to pour my heart out into this mix. I wanted to preserve the feel of the boss fight in my output, so I tried to really give this mix a tense, yet climactic sound, kind of like if I was making the mix for a remake of the game and setting it to that same boss fight. When Dj Mokram brought his idea to the table, I listened to a few HeavensDust tracks for inspiration and tailored some of the track specifically to allow him to really explore the leftover space with Japanese instruments, and it turned out way better than I imagined it would.

Dj Mokram: Ohnami Konami (and the game sequence associated with it) contains the heaviest and most direct reference to the art of 'Ningyo Joruri' (or japanese puppet theater) which is something I absolutely wanted to bring into the remix as well.

Blending together two genres as radically different as traditional/folklore music and rock/metal was a bit of a fun challenge. I added some ethnic flavor on top of Dustin's awesome shreddage, including some Dizi, Shakuhachi, Shamisen, Koto, Taiko drums, Otsuzumi and Shime daiko.

As far as the collab process goes, Dusk did most of the job on this arrangement. I only took care of the ethnic parts, mixed the song, and found a translation to the title that wasn't involving 'bad luck'. ;D

Zenpyou means 'Omen' or 'Harbinger', which reflects the ominous nature of both the source song and that puppeteer boss fight, known in-game as: 'The Battle Show'.

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to you guys for picking a game and track that not many people would consider. You've got a pretty fun take on the source, and I like the combination of the rock and Japanese percussion. The arrangement works pretty well overall as well, really getting that dark ominous feeling throughout. Without timestamping it out, there are times where the source feels pretty scarce, but overall I think it shows itself enough to be on the good side of things.

The overall balance feels strange for this track. The guitars are overcompressed, but feeling distant in the mix, which is a strange combination. Drums are feeling overall quiet as well, but the organ feels pretty upfront and center. Overall the elements just aren't matching together well, which is sucking the energy out of this mix.

Pretty cool, but you've gotta fix up those issues, bros!

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the guitars being overcompressed, there is almost no high end to them at all, and combined with the drums, everything in the rock part of the spectrum ends up sounding weaker than it needs to be. The Japanese ethnic parts sound a bit clearer, though they aren't being pushed near as hard, so that's to be expected.

The arrangement is pretty liberal in a lot of sections, and I wish there was more of the main melody than just the few times it shows up. The drums were ok, but never really got into a solid groove.

Overall a good start, but space needs to be carved out in your rock engineering so you can hear things better, bring the lead guitars out more, and not have the whole track be so compressed. I hope to hear a revision from you guys! :-)

No, please resubmit

The whole rock part of the track is very muffled and lacks clarity. Where did the high end go? What happened? Compare it to any rock production and you'll hear the big difference.

Arrangement is a great start but I would suggest cramming some more source in there just to keep it identifiable overall.

This needs some serious mix tweaking but I think you can pull it off! Compare to other mixers, maybe read up a bit or ask for feedback in the workshop and you'll be in much better shape. Keep it up!

NO(resubmit)