email address: emery@monzerol.com

userid: 31308

SUBMISSION INFO

Name of the games arranged: Star Fox 64; Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Name of the arrangement: Star King

Name of the individual songs arranged: Star Wolf Theme; Dark King

Link to Star Wolf: http://youtu.be/o5ZBu3nHJkM

Link to Dark King: http://youtu.be/t8AFiu_SBN4

Comments: I've been loving OCR since I was a lil' kid. Thought I'd give it a go :) I intend to do a lot of ReMixes, so I just hope you like this, no matter if it's OCR worthy or not :D

I give big big thanks to the WIP forums btw. The guys over there gave me an awesome hand.

I've recently been chosen to be the lead programmer and music composer of a new indie games company, and I love how your site helps me hone my music production skills. I'll make sure to give you guys a special thanks in the credits of our games :D

Anyway here's the source breakdown copy-pasted from my WIP thread. Thought it might be useful ;)

Source Breakdown:

0:00-1:18 is mainly inspired by 0:03-0:08 from Star Wolf

(0:42-1:01 features the main melody from Star Wolf)

1:18-2:22 comes from 0:08-0:18 from Star Wolf

2:22-2:27 is 0:18-0:23 from Star Wolf

2:27-2:49 comes from 0:18-0:24 from Star Wolf

2:49-3:35 all comes from 0:24-1:03 from Star Wolf

3:35-3:46 is an original melody on the chords from 0:08-0:18 from Star Wolf

3:46-END features 0:47-1:06 from Dark King (FFMQ)

3:58-END also features 0:08-0:18 from Star Wolf

• 4 weeks later...

A pretty solid mix, with a good arrangement, and some decent use of voice samples. I loved the synth soloing and lot of the transitions, but there were several production choices that seemed really odd to me, most notably the hard panned bass for most of the track. I do think the shifting panned leads work amazingly well, especially with the vocal clips, really giving this an incredible feeling of a dogfight. A++ on concept.

The production seems a little scooped, with the mids missing in some cases, and with the high end of the percussion a little bit overhyped. Some of the synths felt a little generic as well, but when they are definitely not doing generic things, it works out in the end. Overall, with a few production tweaks, this would be a strong contender, I think.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

Loving the arrangement overall, it's very catchy and recognizable throughout. I agree with Andrew that the voice samples are tastefully used, and the panning on them really is a fun idea. No qualms at all with the arrangement overall.

I have to agree, though, that the panning on the bass is very weird, and throws things off-kilter. I also wouldn't have noticed the missing mids as much, but since Andrew mentioned it I have to agree with that as well.

Liking it, and I hope you tweak this!

NO (resubmit, please!)

not much to add; gotta agree that the panned bass is awkward, but otherwise I thought panning and stereo separation was pretty tastefully applied. however the eq could be tweaked to add more mids, and the drums seemed a little grating in the highs at times. really digging the synth sequencing, and overall arrangement though. another pass at the production could put this over the bar for me.

NO(resub)