*NO* Mega Man X 'Charge! Towards the Sunset of Intergalactic Dictatorship' *RESUB*

Palpable

Previous decision

Contact Information

> ReMixer name: HeavenWraith

> Real name: Antanas Palaitis

> E-mail:

> Website: http://www.heavenwraithmusic.net

> Forum userID: 50325

Submission Information

> Game: Mega Man X, Mega Man 2

> ReMix Name: Charge! Towards The Sunset Of Intergalactic Dictatorship

> Original Name: Boomer Kuwanger Stage (MMX), Metal Man Stage (MM2)

> Original Author: Makoto Tomozawa, Setsuo Yamamoto, Toshihiko Horiyama, Yuki Iwai, Yuko Takehara (MMX); Manami Matsumae, Takashi Tateishi (MM2)

> Link to the file:

---------------

- Boomer Kuwanger

- Metal Man Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Wow, such energy. You grab these sources by the balls and don't let go. There's not a lot to pick on with this excellent arrangement except one really really big thing: The snare is loud, fake-sounding, and plays exactly the same way every hit! Hearing it used in double-time is almost oppressive - I had a hard time hearing anything else. The other drums could have used a little more sequencing attention too, but at least with fills and other change ups, it's not so one note. Seriously, fix the snare and I would be ready to pass this.

NO (resubmit)

Comparing this to the previous version, there's a lot of improvement in terms of mixing, I'm hearing a lot more separation of instruments now, it's not all crammed into the middle, and the bass is hugely improved. Nice work there. But that snare is KILLING this. Whoa, tone down the volume, take a bunch of mids out of it, and try varying the velocities. Your hats are also a touch too loud and upfront. But this is very nearly a pass now.

You might want to find one or two people you really trust to help you discover mixing errors before you submit tracks, as this will save you time going through this judging process! I feel like one more trusted set of ears on this would have found your snare problem in a heartbeat.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Interesting lead change at :41 that works, not that I felt the guitar before was weak. Another good lead change at 1:08. The drums were pretty cool, but every hit sounded the same as far as the intensity; you've got to address this.

The transition at 1:34 to "Metal Man" was worse than before, and was a step in the wrong direction; honestly, I'd just let the transitions between those themes breathe some more, and do something more logical and structured with more of a dropoff or a tempo change. It's just super-abrupt with no flow as it currently is.

Not feeling the lead at 1:36 as much with Metal Man, but the pairing with the guitar worked better even if that synth wasn't my taste. No issues there.

But yeah, the other judges have got you dead to rights on that repetitive snare. Same attack every time at such a high volume, it just sticks out like a sore thumb and it isn't how a real drummer would handle things. You need subtle variation of the intensity through the piece to seal the deal. Watch the cymbals too, they seemed to sizzle a bit, but maybe it's just me.

This is definitely much closer to passing now, don't be discouraged, Anthony. You definitely cleaned up the soundscape a good deal. Now just refining the drum velocities and sprucing up that transition at 1:34 could push this over the cliff. The arrangement continues to sound strong, and you have the power to get this approved.

NO (resubmit)