*NO* Street Fighter 2 'The Eyepatch of the Tiger'

Palpable

Remixer Name: Nostalvania

Email:

User ID: 47981

Name of game arranged: Street Fighter II - The World Warrior (SNES)

Name of arrangement: The Eyepatch Of The Tiger

Name of individual song: Sagat's Theme

Additional information: Composer: Isao Abe

My own comments: A smooth and jazzy 5/4 groove. Long E-Piano solo at 2:25. Tiger!!

Link to Remix:

Source Link: http://youtu.be/qMsfhbRgxBg

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

EVERYTHING about this song works for me, except the amount of source used. Great production, playing, mood, and mix title! When the Sagat theme is in play, everything is firing right, but this is way too liberal for me. Apart from the obvious uses of the Sagat main melody, the rhodes seems to borrow the rhythm of that melody from time to time, but that's really not much of a connection. Bass and chords appear to be totally different. Judges, please point out anything I missed, I'd love to be able to pass this.

NO

Edited by Palpable

Judges, please point out anything I missed, I'd love to be able to pass this.

That ain't happening. :lol:

Dat brass at 1:18, oof. It had 0 richness to it, just super fake and exposed. Palpable mentioned it worked for him as fake brass, and I get it, but for me this isn't one of those cases because it's such a dry sound. It's not used enough to dealbreaker anything, but it sounded poor, IMO. It works enough in the big picture that if this was a pass on source usage for the arrangement aspect, the brass wasn't a big enough deal.

Other than that issue, yeah, this is a super-excellent, chillax piece that clicks. BUT the source usage is so scant when it would have been super easy to put in the backing rhythms of the theme in the background as an accent while you did all that extended comping.

The track was 4:37-long (277), so I needed at least 138.5 seconds of overt source usage for the VGM theme to be dominant in the arrangement:

:52-:53, 1:05-1:18.75, 1:32-1:45, 1:58.5-2:11.5, 2:24.75-2:36.5, 3:37.75-3:40.5, 4:03.75-4:30.25 = 77.75 seconds or 28.07% overt source usage.

Sagat called and he wants to be more involved in this arrangement. :lol: Markus, your work is sweet, so if you don't feel like modifying this piece to work with the arrangement standards, that's no problem. You'll knock us dead with your next great piece. Cool piece, it just falls outside our arrangement guidelines due to the source material not being a dominant presence.

NO (resubmit)

I remember hearing and commenting on the first iteration of this track in the wip forum! I was immediately blown away by Markus's keyboarding skillz. This mix has come a LONG way since then, the mixing has improved, the soundscape is fleshed out better, it really REALLY grooves right along!

I still find those claps cheesy but that's my opinion. I think with a different sample and a bit more effects, the claps would have a better impact.

I don't have a big problem with the fake brass, it sounds more like a brass synth to me than something that's actually trying to be brass. It could have a little more reverb and be blended in better, sure. But I feel like that faux-brass is working (especially given how much fake brass exists in the source tune!)

Sadly I have to cosign that there isn't enough source for this to get over the OCR bar. Markus you've done some really dynamite soloing as usual, unfortunately that takes the arrangement a little too deep into original territory. Revise it if you want, but if not, it's a really excellent stand-alone piece.

NO