*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'When Love Must Be Saved'

Chimpazilla

I assume this is NOT for the FF9 project, I can't find it listed there, he has another track claimed on FF9 but not this one, someone please mark this as project if I am wrong, thanks. - Chimp

Remixer name: Bluelighter

Mail:

ID forum: 30998

From the album project: Final Fantasy 9

Game & Songs: Final Fantasy 9 – The Mind and the Fused Magic

Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU

Link:

Comment:

Hi OCR!

The original piece was really interesting to work on. I really love the simplicity and the harmonic richness N. UEMATSU managed to put in.

In this orchestral mix, I wanted to combine different atmospheres:

joyful and peaceful at the beginning, when characters CID and Hilda can live fully their love.

darker in a 2nd part, where we can imagine some evil forces they have to fight together.

but we have some reassuring notes in the conclusion. All's well that ends well :D

Here it is for the inspiration.

I hope you’ll like this arrangement :)

------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of dynamics in this track, in fact too much... the first section hits almost to 0db, then at 0:34 suddenly we are down at about -20db and I have to strain to hear it. I think a little more stable volume would be preferable as this feels awkward. The track remains really quiet until 1:38. The big crescendo at 1:57 is awesome though, there are some really neato ideas in this section, including the new time signature that I can't even figure out, and the moody dissonant seconds on the brass which I love. The solo violin sounds really good, the flute and harp glissandos are nice. I am enjoying the instrumentation throughout the track. The final outro section at 3:30 is again too quiet, and seems a bit detached from the track.

I find the writing/arrangement in this mix really good, plenty of source for sure. The mixing is working well enough. My biggest gripe is the super quiet sections. Ideally, I'd love to have the volume of those two sections brought up somewhat. I can't decide if this is a dealbreaker. Anyone else?

edit 11/7/14: I'm gonna go ahead and ask for a resub, those quiet sections are too quiet. If the low volume section were only a couple of seconds long, it would be ok, but the quiet sections are both rather long. Just bring those two sections up so there isn't such a huge disparity in volume. The quiet sections should still be softer than the rest, just not -20db soft. As Jive said, this has "YES" written all over it after this fix.

NO (please fix volume disparity and resub)

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 3 weeks later...

Epic mix my friend. You have taken the original (which is essentially a chamber piece) and turned it into an adventure. I am enjoying the arrangement in this mix, many nice ideas, changing moods throughout. Great convincing sounds as well. Your production is decent and everything is audible.

Kristina brought up some good points regarding mix/dynamics volume. I too can hear a fairly large disparity in volume between sections. I understand this is used for effect, and that's totally cool, but I think the volume changes are a little too extreme in some areas (specifically 0:35-1:30 and 3:25-end). I've done some analysis in Audition and there is definitely two volume extremes to your mix. To me this is really the only problem. Absolutely keep the volume differences, just don't make them so far apart. If you can bring up the volume of the softer bits, this has Yes written all over it.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster

The arrangement is excellent and the sequencing is pretty good, but the volume levels are keeping this from being as enjoyable as it could be. It sounds like there is way too much headroom throughout, so even some light compression to normalize things a touch wouldn't be out of the question. Overall really nice, just needs a final touch of polish on some levels. I love the track :-)

No, please resubmit