Is 2D platforming dead?

Voltrox747

It's not just 2D platforming that's dying, seems that Mario Galaxy and Ratchet are the only 3D platformers which actually have some work put into them.

Nonetheless, I don't think 2D platforming is dead quite yet. Thanks to the DS and PSP, we've been getting some pretty hardcore stuff. Yoshi's Island DS surprised the hell out of me because it's extremely challenging. New Super Mario Bros. was so much fun to play even though it's easy. Mega Man ZX kicks ass. Sonic Rush kicks ass. The Mega Man remakes for the PSP were excellent, and it's unfortunate that they didn't sell well. Lots of fans are pleased by Dracula X Chronicles as well.

I'm sure that the PSN and WiiWare services will over a lot of 2D platforming titles once they get the ball really rolling. Classic shooters and puzzlers have been revived thanks to the online services (especially Xbox LIVE which started the whole trend)...and I'm sure Nintendo's WiiWare will revive 2D platforming in some way. After all, we've just heard of the Bionic Commando remake for XBL and PSN and that's a nice start to say the least.

Ecco DC has the best looking 2D sections I've seen in a game, and still no one has done anything serious with that.

I don't think it's dead, but it depends on the audience you consider. It would be very, very hard to get mainstreamers to take a 2D platty seriously. I don't consider the existence of rehashed 2D platformers only on handhelds to really be all that "alive". I want to see a real, playable, interesting and surprising platformer on a full console, stretching every limit that could viably work in a 2D platformer. I think it can be done, but only because of, basically, Sonic and NiGHTS. They have 2D gameplay that isn't just about the next obstacle, and that's the kind of gameplay that needs to be considered, imo. If that's not making sense, think of Rez. Similar idea of it being about the play.

I think it's ironic that the PSP is starting to pump out a lot of good 2D games, including totally new and innovative ones like with LocoRoco and the new game from the same developer: Patapon.

Patapon blog

Strange how the Sony development houses has some intriguing 2D titles in the works. Ironic when a lot of their 3D titles haven't been doing too well recently.