*NO* Contra: Hard Corps 'One Shot, One Kill'

Liontamer

Contact Info:

Remixer Name: DeathBySpoon

User ID: 11105

Remix Info:

Game Remixed: Contra: Hard Corps

Song Remixed: "The Hard Corps" and "GTR Attack!"

Comments: Alrighty, here's my second attempt at a submission. Hard Corps has some awesome music, and I haven't seen any coverage of it at all, so I figured I'd give my favorite song a shot. Not much else to say, thanks for taking the time to listen to my track!

• 4 weeks later...

While your arrangement has a slick, heavy sound to it, I thought it was pretty similar to the original soundtrack, sort of just an upgrade. On that level, I wish it had been more of a departure. This is compounded by the fact that all the original melodies are basically intact, and some of the backing parts too. The rhythms of the drums have changed, and some new parts have been added. No big changes in structure either, and the transition between songs was a little awkward. In all, I found it too similar and comparable to the originals. There's not enough personalization.

The sound was pretty slick, like I mentioned. You have some really cool processing going on with some of those synths and guitars. The machine gun drumming suits the song. 1:02 gets a little overwhelming in the amount of things demanding attention - might want to pull it back a little there.

There's a lot of directions you can take to making this work. An original intro would be great - leading off the song more smoothly and giving it your own touch. Some changes in melody and more prominent original parts like the new lead at 0:16 would also nudge this closer to a pass. Hope you give it another try!

NO (resubmit)

This track starts off pretty abrupt... no intro of any kind, which is a little disconcerting. Also, I'm not a big fan of how the original "Hard Corps" theme was changed. Before, it was basically "F, G#, F F# F# F# G" but you changed it to "F F G# G# G G F# F#" which is less interesting, rhythmically and melodically. The drums are meaty, particularly the kick, but they don't really sound realistic in either the sequencing or tone. Doesn't blend well with the live guitars. The FM synths are nice, but not as aggressive as those in the original.

The transition to GTR attack was rather sudden, I thought, and could have been smoothed out a bit. The treatment of that theme was not too different from the original as Palp pointed out, though there were some additions and subtractions here and there. The texture is fairly muddy throughout with lots of distorted noise. Use some palm mutes more, IMO, to clean up the sound and make more interesting rhythms than just guitar 'pads'. Again, the drums need work here.

Solid foundation, and I agree with Palp that there were some good processing ideas, but this mix still needs more work overall. Keep at it.

NO

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=91 - 10 "The Hard Corps" & 19 "GTR Attack!"

Decent opening. Percussion sounded weak compared to the harder edged guitar, and the perc wasn't quite filling out the background; could have used some padding.

Pretty quick transition into "GTR Attack!" at :48. Lead synth at 1:02 sounded really cheap in tone and sequencing, as well as out of place, not clicking with the other rock instrumentation.

Good percussion changeup at 1:48, though I thought the drum tone was not fitting again.

I felt the arrangement approach was ok; stuff is still structured a little too closely to the originals, with Palpable making a good point on some of the percussion writing, but this was still going in the right direction on some level. There wasn't enough finesse or polish in the execution.

Like zircon mentioned, lots of unnecessary mud with the guitars in the background after 1:02 that just made the background sounded cluttered and undefined. Meanwhile, gotta agree with him on the changes to the source melody are less interesting than the original and undermine the potential of the piece in terms of having a hook, but then again I had no major problem with what was in place.

The ending at 2:23 seemed to come out of nowhere and was a weak resolution; just takes all the steam out of the piece without a strong, defined ending.

Good base, IMO. Tighten the screws and definitely resubmit. Even if it's not with this piece, I think you're going in the right direction. Keep improving on both the arrangement and production fronts.

NO