*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Welcome to Darkworld!'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: halcyon

Email address: andrew@joename.com

Userid: 13226

Name of game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Name of individual song arranged: Dark World

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - "Dark World" (loz3-12.spc)

Started off interesting enough, but the beats coming in at :16 had nothing behind 'em. It was like that the entire mix and hampered the energy level; put some meat on 'em. Same with the strings; they were ultra-dry and didn't pad up the background at all.

Pretty much everything was dry-sounding now that I listen more closely. The textures ended up pretty empty despite all the stuff going on; there was nothing padding and filling out the soundfield. You'll need to utilize some effects on the existing parts and also probably add in some new ones for the background.

Arrangement-wise, this was lots of fun; the programming and sound choices were very much in the style of chthonic, only without the polish. Hopefully other Js can give you viable advice on how to put more sonic substance into the background.

Promising stuff so far, Andrew, but not something that a quick fix can take care of. It's certainly worth another shot over here as long as you get good feedback and don't rush a resubmission.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was a very cool arrangement. Reminded me of zircon's stuff actually, with the mix of old-school synths, strings, and processing. Slightly conservative, given that the structure and some of the parts are basically the same, but lots of processing and new bits. It's a fun listen. Fadeout seemed abrupt but not a big deal.

Yeah, the beat on this is wimpy. It never reaches the energy level it seems like it should be at. The kick and the snare both sound like they need more power in the low-end - consider layering the ones you've got. The strings I didn't have as big a problem with, and I think I'd be ok with those as is. Soundscape is also extremely dry but I thought it worked reasonably well anyway, because of how full it is. The dryness makes it sound like a chiptune, not a bad thing. A little more softness might make it easier on the ears, I suppose.

Very close one, but I'd like to see the drums improved a bit before giving this the ok. I could easily see someone giving this the YES, so good luck with the rest of the vote, Andrew.

NO (resubmit)

Very very cool concept, and probably the most unique approach I've heard on this theme. As Larry might say, however, WHERE'S THE BEEF? I understand the quirkiness/minimalism/lo-fi in your approach, and I'm fine with that, but it definitely is undeniably dry sounding. I think the snare was probably your main antagonist there. That, and maybe your high hat. Also, there were certain places where a cymbal crash just didn't fit too well, like :47, and the one after that pause at :51. The crashes are really weak, and compared to your synths and all the other processing going on, they didn't really have any OOMPH behind them.

Also, I found the mix a little on the repetitive side, and the quick, fadeout ending was kind of weak. A bit more expansion on both those fronts definitely wouldn't be a bad thing.

Well, maybe you could throw in some pads and sweeps to fill up the space between your blips and bloops and maybe layer that snare with another hit to dampen the sound just a little.

RESUBMIT! because this is really cool.