Any Tips For Recording With A Live Insturments.

I am avery ten year violinist and this summer after I grudurate from high school, I plan on doing some remixes and playing music from video games on the violin. The only experince I have recording myself is for playing tests at my string/orcestra class, and that's it! I never touch a mixer in my life! I fooled around with Reason with a MIDI controller, but never had a true experince mixing and editing with my violin.

My budget is . . . very low. In fact, I can only buy a $20 mic! I can not however, buy mixers and other good thigns like that. I could go to by brother and ask him can I use his, but he don't trust me with his stuff (as a kid, I use to destory a lot of his things! =P)

I also have a teacher who's like a friend, but he's usualy very busy during the summer, so I may be S.O.L. on using his tools and software!

What tips/ideas/etc. do you have for me, for a guy in this kinda sitution?

You can record the violin on a $20 mic -- it won't sound great, but it shouldn't sound terrible either. IMO, the best suggestion for you is to just have fun recording (plug the mic into the line-in of whatever soundcard you have and go for it) and don't worry about sound quality right now. First of all, you can learn a lot by really having to focus on mic placement, getting the room quiet and post-processing the audio. Secondly, you can take this as an opportunity to improve your compositional skills, as opposed to your production skills.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I did speak with my teacher about recording and he say I don't really need a mixer if it for small time things, I could use a laptop and enclosed space (such as the bathroom or closet) and record myself.

He also stated using a program call "Cool Edit Pro".

Well, I am gonna to get a job and earn me some money for all this! I hope I get to do some remixing by the middle of this summer and start posting them during the Fall. ANy more tips are welcome!